Help on Green Weenie

A

allthingsfishing

I was given a couple of Green Weenies, about an inch long. They are unweighted. Being from Ohio I don't fish for trout very often. Would they be good for steelhead or smallies? When I fish them should I add split shot to get them lower in the water column or no shot to let them ride higher?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, they'll work for bass and steelhead. Use them with split shot.

Thanks for the reply. Forgot to ask, dead drift?

You can fish them like you would a nymph. In addition to split shot, you can tie them with a bead up front for weight.

They will work as the top fly on a two nymph set up too. Tie a heavier fly off the hook of the unweighted one. Attracter pattern, so everything will eat them. Fish may also come over to see the green weenie and then hit the other fly.

Yup. They work for pan fish and large mouth as well.

They work all ways, but less likely if stripped upstream.

Generally I say dead drift them, but on occasion I have had great luck letting unweighted ones slowly sink. This works better with the type that has the loop at the tail. They will flutter like a leaf as they sink with an action something like a Senko.

Gink up the unweighted ones and fish em as a floating inch worm in the summer as well.

Give them back to the person that gave them to you and simply say... "Thank you for the offer but I don't fish junk flies".

krayfish2 wrote:
Give them back to the person that gave them to you and simply say... "Thank you for the offer but I don't fish junk flies".
LMAO Love that comment Krayfish2!

Green weenies just flat out catch fish. Weight them and dead drift them and they'll slaughter panfish, stocked trout, wild trout, bass, etc . I can think of no other fly I've had more success with for midsummer wild browns.

A green weenie and little black stone and sucker spawn have been my best flies on the Lake Erie steelhead runs

I tie on any hook. Just so it's 1x heavy or more. And I always use a bead.

1 other thing. I don't use yellow chartreuse color. I use the green chartreuse. Some call there's chartreuse but it's more yellow chartreuse. I prefer the green.

But for steelhead I used all colors including orange, pink, and crazy colors.

jifigz wrote:

I can think of no other fly I've had more success with for midsummer wild browns.

Agreed. And same with brook trout.

When the trout are keyed on inchworms, using an inchworm imitation is a good choice.

It's the same concept as the sulphur hatch. Trout eating sulphurs? You might want to try a fly that looks like a sulphur.

My oak tree is full of live "green weenies" GG

No other insect is hated by fly fisherman like the inch worm.

Stink bugs, water skippers or white faced hornets

Yellow jackets are the worst, especially when they get inside your waders. Worst day of fishing ever.

My buddy has a little saying he likes to use when the fishing gets shitty, "when in doubt, weenies out". It usually works and can save ya from the skunk

Confession time. I have never caught a fish on the green weenie. I'll go hang my head in shame now.

ryansheehan wrote:
No other insect is hated by fly fisherman like the inch worm.

I did not know that.

Back