Help!!!

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

I am looking to buy a fly rod combo from llbean but I need to know how many pounds 3wt and 4wt rods can hold.

Just a bit of info...

If you're looking to buy a Quest II combo from da Bean, you'll have lots of time to make a decision as to what size to buy.

The website shows the Quest II combo as not being available until October. The rods are available, but the new Quest II reel is likely the culprit in the delay. The old Quest reel was made of a graphite composite, and isn't as good as the new Quest II reel.

If you can hold out until then, it'll be worth getting the new reel.

Don't think of the weight of the rod as how many pounds it'll handle. That's a non-factor.

You'll get a zillion opinions on rod weights for beginners, target fish species, and on and on.

When people ask me what rod to get for their first rod, more often than not I recommend a 5wt - 8 1/2 or 9' in length.

It'll be ideal for trout fishing, on the light side but still useful for bass, and will work fine for panfish. YMMV.

I second the 5wt as a beginner trout rod. I've fished everything, and caught everything, with my 8' 5wt.

If you're asking about the weight of the fish that a particular rod would hold, that ultimately comes down to tippet strength.

BrookieChaser wrote:
I second the 5wt as a beginner trout rod. I've fished everything, and caught everything, with my 8' 5wt.

If you're asking about the weight of the fish that a particular rod would hold, that ultimately comes down to tippet strength.

^^ +1

As they said, rod weight doesn't directly effect how heavy of a fish you can catch (appreciably!).

Rod weight corresponds to line weight- again, any fly line is going to tackle most any trout without much trouble. However, lines in a certain weight category work better for certain leaders and tippets (have I lost you yet?).

It's leaders and tippet that limit the trout you can safely pull in. If you are just starting, don't use tippet lighter than 5X (as in 6x, 7x, etc).

Start out with a 9' 5wt rod. 5 wt fly line on that rod. 5X leader and 5x tippet on that set up. You will be able to tackle any reasonable trout with that (0-5lbs) as long as your knots are good. You can catch larger with that same set up, but it takes more skillful play.

Back