Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Getting started - old new guy

From Middleburg, PA
First off, I just want to say now that I have found this site I am totally addicted to this sport and can't wait to get started. Awesome site!! I'm looking for advice on a good solid rod and reel set up for mostly small to medium sized PA trout streams. The largest stream I will most likely fish will be Penns, I honestly love to fish the smaller streams but that's my comfort zone. Many years ago I had an old Fenwick rod my father let me use and to say I did it justice would be anything but accurate. That rod and gear were lost in a house fire and now I'm finally getting back into this awesome sport! My budget is a little on the lighter side but I realize in most cases you get what you pay for! So I open to any and all advice and help in pointing me in the right direction. Some of my thoughts are a 4wt - 5wt 8' or 9' rod. And for reels I'm open to anything. Thanks in advance for the input and see you on the stream. Take care and have a great day!!!! Brian

Posted on: 10/6 6:47

Re: Getting started - old new guy

From Wayne County
Welcome to the forum, Brian.

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you need. My personal preference for an all purpose rod would be a 9' 5 wt. If you're fishing a lot of heavy cover small streams maybe go shorter.

How are you set for flies? I have a starter box I put together for someone at work who quit and I lost touch with him. You're welcome to it (assuming I can find it).

You might want to look into complete outfits by Orvis ($160), Redington ($100+), Echo, Cabelas. That way you will get a balanced outfit with rod, reel, and line.

Posted on: 10/6 9:12

From SE Pa
I'm a cheap rod expert. My choice would be a reddington CT 4wt. They are frequently on sale for slightly less than a hundred bucks. All my reels are cabelas brand reels. They are also frequently on sale and you can get a nice machined aluminum reel that will last a lifetime for around a hundred bucks or less. As for line, I just get the best deal I can get. To many choices out there on line. Any WFF line of your choosing will do. I could not be happier with all of my cheap gear.

Posted on: 10/6 9:48

IMO, the best do it all rod is an 8'6" 6wt. Unfortunately, it seems there aren't a ton of new models around in that configuration.

As far as reels, the orvis battenkill (new or any of the older used ones) are solid reels and the cost is not bad either.

Posted on: 10/6 11:24

From New Castle, PA
So what exactly is your budget? There are good options for a rod and reel setup in the $200, 300, 400+ ranges and depending on who you talk to, all of those could be considered budget rigs.

Kev

Posted on: 10/8 11:12

From Middleburg, PA
PennKev, I was hoping to stay in the $200 range if at all possible. I realize this is on the low end but I'm just getting back into this sport. Thanks in advance for the input everyone.

Posted on: 10/10 8:52

From Easton, PA
A Redington Path outfit would come in under that budget : https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/fly- ... edington-path-outfit.html

Posted on: 10/10 10:07

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

Vaughn wrote:
A Redington Path outfit would come in under that budget : https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/fly- ... edington-path-outfit.html

Yeah. This^

Redington packs a lot of bang for the buck.

Posted on: 10/11 6:36

From Phoenixville
Look at Allen rods and reels, I believe you can get a % off as a member here. I have an Allen set up and I love it. They have price points for all shoppers.

Posted on: 10/11 16:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip.
One or two.
Three or four.
More than four.
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com