Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Getting dialed in with blood knots

From Johnstown, PA
There is ONE shortcut that i learned and it's the easiest way i.m.o. to tie mono to mono , the end product looks just like a Blood Knot but the method of tying is different , start by joining the 2 pieces with a square knot or some call it an overhand knot , trim the tags short , then tie the knot most folks tie to make dropper loops , 5 wraps , stick the square knot through the hole , moisten and tighten up and trim the tags , with a little practice you can tie this know without leaving the stream.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 7:05

From New Castle, PA
ligature knot > blood knot

Easier to tie, IMO. Far less dexterity needed. Also seems to seat properly and more securely. Has been all I use on-stream for leader and tippet modification for the last 4 or so years.

Kev

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:15

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
boychick wrote:
Quote:
You can substitute a surgens knot for the blood knot, but the blood knot is a better knot for a leader becuase it lays out straight. A surgens knot does not

Wrong, a Double surgeons knot will lay off to side but the triple surgeons knot will lay straight everytime. The downfall some say is the bulk when tied, I have never noticed and after 30 years of useing the blood knot I switched to the triple for all my freshwater and most saltwater. It's also 100% breaking strength is also a great point meaning the line will break before the triple surgeons. I have been fly fishing for over 45 years now, scarey.....

Posted on: 2013/3/18 18:31

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Lewisberry, PA
This is why I switched to furled leaders with a tippet ring

Posted on: 2013/3/18 20:56

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

Gone_Phishin wrote:
This is why I switched to furled leaders with a tippet ring

So you handicap yourself by using only one type of leader because you cannot tie secure line-to-line knots?

Posted on: 2013/3/19 6:38

From Johnstown, PA
PennKev.........is the Ligature knot the name of the knot i was trying to describe in my post? Never knew the name of it if it is.........see , i'm 57 years old and learn somethingg new on here almost everyday.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 7:03

From Chester County
Quote:

sandfly wrote:
boychick wrote:
Quote:
You can substitute a surgens knot for the blood knot, but the blood knot is a better knot for a leader becuase it lays out straight. A surgens knot does not

Wrong, a Double surgeons knot will lay off to side but the triple surgeons knot will lay straight everytime. The downfall some say is the bulk when tied, I have never noticed and after 30 years of useing the blood knot I switched to the triple for all my freshwater and most saltwater. It's also 100% breaking strength is also a great point meaning the line will break before the triple surgeons. I have been fly fishing for over 45 years now, scarey.....

+1 Sandy....same amount of years, too...

Posted on: 2013/3/19 7:13

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

osprey wrote:
PennKev.........is the Ligature knot the name of the knot i was trying to describe in my post? Never knew the name of it if it is.........see , i'm 57 years old and learn somethingg new on here almost everyday.

I was thinking that when I read your post. It is much easier to demonstrate and actually tie, than it is to describe.

Interestingly, I've also seen the ligature knot referred to as...

... A SURGEON'S KNOT!

But it is not the same knot we would identify as a surgeon's knot.

Groan.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 8:08

From New Castle, PA
deleted double post.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 8:08

Ligature knot looks interesting.

The double or triple surgeon's knot doesn't join perfectly straight, but it looks to me like it's close enough when using fine tippet, 4X and smaller.

Posted on: 2013/3/19 8:44

I picked up one of those Dennison leader-making vises off eBay, and I have to say it's a slick little tool. Makes a very clean blood knot very easily. As I said, my thought was to use it for a while to get the hang, then eventually wean myself off it.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 20:43

From Portage, PA
I find that using the double nail method to only work on large diameter to large diameter mono for the leaders. I am still working on the blood knot as well.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 13:40

From Clearfield County
I also struggle with blood knots. Last time that I was on the water and forgot my glasses I tied whatever mixed up knot that would keep my tippets together. Worked ok in a pinch.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 21:12

If I had to do a quick tie on the water, I find a double uni to be easy and fast to do. I don't see it mentioned in the fly community, though some of my conventional fishing friends use it regularly. I haven't tested it though I imagine it may not be as strong as a blood knot.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 21:53

From York & Starlight, PA
I asked a general surgeon friend of mine if he uses the Surgeons Knot in his operations. He laughed at me.....

Posted on: 2013/3/22 17:59

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com