Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: GPS Fishing Guide
From Monessen, PA
Groovy carriage, man.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 16:23

From Ferguson Twp.
Is that a pony tail under your hat or a shadow? Livin the 60's/70's love it. Here's to ya.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 16:50

From York & Starlight, PA
Jack,

I drove it out to MT three times. I drove out by myself all three times because I was going to be out for three months. I used to leave around June 01 and would return Labor Day. That was a great time and I've got lots of awesome memories.

I fished many of the "blue ribbon" rivers before the crunch of the late 1970's. You could fish all day and maybe see a handful of guys fishing. Fished the Madison in, and out, of YNP. Fished the Beaverhead, Big Hole, Henry's Fork, Gallatin, Firehole, Gibbon, and dozens more. It's hard even for me to believe but I fished Armstrong Spring Creek when it was free and sponsored by some local businesses including Dan Bailey's and a beer company called Lucky Star (or sometging like that) I fished it day after day for weeks at a time. When I got bored of catching wild rising trout HaHa I'd drive over to Dillon or Belgrade to fish some really tough spring creeks over there.

The VW had a two burner propane stove, a small refrigerator, a small sink & a 5 gallon tank for fresh water and a cabin heater for cool nights. I put in a Porta-Potti. My "cruise control" was a brick laid down onto the gas pedal after I got it up to 50 mph. I used to keep a little cooler on the front seat and only stop to put gas into the tank and then take off again. I think I was 25 years old on my first trip.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 17:01

From Lancaster County
Quote:

wbranch wrote:
Man, oh man, what would all you guys do without the Internet and smart phones, and app this and app that? You'd probably not be fishing because you couldn't find your way to the creek. Maybe because I'm an old guy I just can't see the need for a smart phone. I'm pretty smart without one. I don't think I want to be much smarter. I have a computer at home why do I need one in my pocket?

Yea, I know I do use the computer to chat about fishing with others of the same interests but back in the day you found new waters by driving all over the countryside in the summer after the fishing slowed down due to low and warm water.

Now it's just too easy to get onto the computer and log onto some forum and look at where guys are having good success and just drive there. Set the GPS and turn the car onto cruise and away we go.

I'm not even ranting here I'm just saying it was fun to locate new sections of rivers I was fishing or find entirely new streams that had great fishing. It was kind of an adventure and we would drive around and check out this stream or that pool and get our stuff on and go out and see if we could catch any trout.

Sounds like a rant to me

Technology evolves and those that learn how to use it may gain an upper hand in whatever they apply it to. The "smart" in smartphone doesn't apply so much to the person holding the phone, but the ability of the device to be able to do more than make a phone call. Dumb people can own smartphones; some smart people own dumb phones. I certainly hope that when you got in your vehicle and just drove around that it was a horse and buggy, because otherwise you'd be using a "smart" vehicle (which your VW appears to be). And you mentioned using a map - thats progress when it comes to navigating (better than just using the stars and having to only travel at night), just like using a smartphone can be progress over using a paper map. And I'm assuming you used a fly rod, reel and line, not a stick with some natural hemp for line.. Progress need not be feared, you se..

For the OP, the app you asked about has been covered. There are also many more useful apps that you can get for a phone that can help you make better informed fishing decisions - river flow levels aggregated from the USGS, free mapping apps, sunrise/sunset times, weather, knots, journals (for tracking trips, water temps, weather, location, etc.), fish loggers, etc.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 21:57

"Sounds like a rant to me"

Well if it a rant it is with a smile on my face and hoping you all have one too.

"And you mentioned using a map" I was wondering if anyone would be observant and pick up on that and call me out on it.

"And I'm assuming you used a fly rod, reel and line, not a stick with some natural hemp for line.. "

Well if the truth be told I was using a lancewood rod, with my newest model Vom Hofe winch, braided horse hair line and the best silk gut money could buy. Theo had tied me some lovely snelled wet flies for our excursion to the Beaverkill to load up with a few hundred native speckled trout.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 22:27

"Is that a pony tail under your hat or a shadow?"

It is just very long shoulder length hair. Like this guy. Look at the ancient Thompson cast iron fly tying vise. It didn't even have a cam lever to tighten the hook in the jaws. I had to turn a large cast iron knob to draw the jaws reaward to tighten the hook between the vise jaws.

Attach file:

jpg  Hippie in Minneapolis.jpg (116.77 KB)
2548_5153b1c34a7a7.jpg 696X480 px

Posted on: 2013/3/27 22:58

From Ferguson Twp.
My how things have changed, it's amazing how tools and equipment have evolved over the years. I was always a big map person, still am to find the little blue line creeks, but once located I'm all about Gps to get me there.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 6:15

From Warrington
To me, the advances in technology are really about giving me time. Time is the one thing you can't get more of. You can just spend it in different ways. The pace of life is such that there will never be enough and it keeps getting faster.

If I can use technology to redirect the time I spend from researching new places to fish or driving around using gas exploring to actually fishing new places, that is a true advance to me.

My vision of the future and the goal for my company is that you have available every map you ever needed or wanted with every customization you might want for your lifestyle on one map in electronic form on a flatscreen device.

You can pan and zoom in or out to see whatever area or detail you may desire. The map displays your current location and then lets you look at what's near you that fits your lifestyle. If you don't know where you are, a map is useless anyway. Think of panning and zooming the screen as replacing unfolding maps or picking up different maps to display different information or scales of detail.

I tried once carrying around a complete set of USGS topographic maps for the US in my car but it was so full I couldn't fit my fishing gear in the car. (Just kidding to make the point) Now I have them all in the palm of my hand.

Notice I don't mention the word, "smartphone." Who coined that phrase anyway? It's the Dick Tracy watch we older guys dreamed about as a kid reading the comics!

Posted on: 2013/3/28 7:46

From Bucks County
It is about time- and convenience. Last weekend I found myself in an unfamiliar place- Lancaster County, with only a couple hours to fish. No maps with me, only a smartphone. I could have spent time trying to research locations on my tiny phone screen, or just click a few buttons and instantly get navigation to a FF only stream.

There are always multiple ways in accomplishing what you desire. For me, I would rather spend that extra time fishing and $30 is a reasonable price for it. It is the same argument for all technological devices/advancement- is the convenience worth the price? There will always be opinions on both sides of the fence.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 8:23

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I tried once carrying around a complete set of USGS topographic maps for the US in my car but it was so full I couldn't fit my fishing gear in the car. (Just kidding to make the point) Now I have them all in the palm of my hand.

Yeah, that was my family. I remember when I STARTED fishing at 6 or 7 years old, having to clear space for me to sit, as the backseat of the fishing vehicle was just stacks of maps.

The funny thing is, it's probably not any quicker to use the computer. I likely spend just as much time "researching" as I would with paper maps. I enjoy that aspect of it, and you spend what time you got doing it. The research is likely more effective, though (do more in the same amount of time, rather than do the same in less time). And it's easier. When going on an extended trip, you grab the laptop and a GPS and go. What's quicker is that you don't have to sort through all those maps to find the one you want.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 9:48

I like phone apps, satellite maps, lidar laser-elevation maps, my garmin etrex with detailed topo, and all the rest, but it's kinda nice that even when you have a computer display the class A & nat repro streams, you dont really know what you'll find. Some streams not on the natural reproduction list do have fish, and some listed class A brookie streams .. I hate to to say this ... have been taken over by brown trout!

Posted on: 2013/3/28 10:53

From Warrington
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
...I likely spend just as much time "researching" as I would with paper maps. I enjoy that aspect of it, and you spend what time you got doing it...

Being on the water can be just a part of the rewards of fishing and the research can be just as much a part of the experience. It's really all in what you love!

Believe me, I do a lot of research too and it is rewarding. You learn more than you can ever get from any single source. pcray - seeing some of what you gathered at the Newbie Jam, my hats off to you!

Posted on: 2013/3/28 18:55

From Ferguson Twp.
I've been looking real hard at this app and couldn't help but wonder can this really be as good as it looked on the site? I called and talked to Mike creator of this fine app. That sealed the deal for me,I've been playing with it for an hour or two (navigating and becoming familiar with it is a snap)and have come to the conclusion that it's better than that good. I'd love to tell you all about it but there's just too much to write. It will do all it says and more, if you live in Pa, like to fish, and have a device you can put this on I highly recommend it. For what you're getting with this app, it's well worth the small price to get it. I've got over 200 albums on my phone, why not have 5000 streams on it too? Thank you Mike, and good talking to you. Jack

Posted on: 2013/3/28 21:47

From Harrisburg
Mike's a great guy and he's created a solid app. I haven't actually relied on it yet to find new waters, but it's very nice knowing that I could (and will!). I have, however, been using it to make my own notes on streams that I already know

Posted on: 2013/4/1 0:19

From Butler, Pa
its an awesome app

Posted on: 2013/4/2 15:17

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com