Furled leaders

B

bialeckij

Just learning about them. Can anyone tell me about them. Are they better than mono leaders?

As with anything some people can't live without them some people hate them. I love them and will never fish with a tapered mono leader ever again. Never ever ever never again. If you pm me your address I and fly rod weight I will send you some to try for yourself.

I've been using them for close to 12 years now. Won't go back to the tapered leader.

I'm of the opposite opinion of the two posts above. I tried them, and prefer tapered mono leaders with the addition of a tippet ring. They do turn over a fly more reliably than a mono leader, but they also don't tend to sink when you want them to (streamer fishing), and are more expensive than mono leaders. With a tippet ring added to the end of a 2x or 3x tapered leader I can pretty much fish the same leader for a whole year, and I can keep a leader on each reel I have, so the mono leaders just seem more versatile to me.

I don't like them, the Orvis braided leaders are far superior, but both spray water when you're casting and both will be irreparably damaged if caught in a tree.

Back