Fly rod for beginner question.

Opie610

Opie610

Looking for a fly rod and reel combo for my 14 yr old daughter. She is new to fly fishing. Only want to spend around 100 dollars until i'm sure she enjoys it. Any suggestions? It will be used mainly for trout and bluegills.

Find an Eagle Claw Featherlite in the 7' version, some old reel, and s decent line that you could use if she doesn't take to it. No need to spend $100.00, unless you can fill a void in your own arsenal. Check Walmart for the Cortland combos. (' 5/6 wt for roughly $50.00. All set. However, you may not need a beginner's 5/6 if your daughter isn't into it.

KeithS wrote:
Find an Eagle Claw Featherlite in the 7' version, some old reel, and s decent line that you could use if she doesn't take to it. No need to spend $100.00, unless you can fill a void in your own arsenal. Check Walmart for the Cortland combos. (' 5/6 wt for roughly $50.00. All set. However, you may not need a beginner's 5/6 if your daughter isn't into it.

Good advice.

Thanks FI, I've learned a little on here.

I would say Keith's advice is good. Also, check out the Reddington Crosswater combo. If she does like FFing, it'll grow w/ her for a while. The rod is a solid stick. The reel...it holds line!

The_Sasquatch wrote:
I would say Keith's advice is good. Also, check out the Reddington Crosswater combo. If she does like FFing, it'll grow w/ her for a while. The rod is a solid stick. The reel...it holds line!
I agree with Sasquatch on the Redington "Crosswater". I bought the combo years ago when I first started flyfishing. It's a good deal. I caught alot of trout on it. I think the new series is even better than my older model.

Can't speak about the old model. I bought mine off Amazon this past year. I just needed a 4 piece rod, and I didn't have a lot of scratch. The one on Amazon is lined w/ the Rio line, which is pretty decent. The reel performs more solidly than I expected. Still think the reel is on the cheaper (quality wise) side of things, but if you're not gunnin' down steelies and whatnot, it'll hold up for a while. The rod itself is just a good rod, though. I'm not usually one for fast action rods, but that thing can shoot some serious line.

The components on the new model are better quality ie. reelseat, rod case. Mine did'nt even come with a case, just a sock. The new reel is better quality too. The old rod is fast action also and can cast ALOT of line.

The reel seat quality was one thing that put me onto this rod over other "budget" combos. It does not feel like a cheap rod at all

The small case is nice too! Gotta love a 4 piece rod case that allows me to keep my reel in place.

I know this is an older post and you may have gotten a rod already but, the LL Bean Streamlight is a great combo and comes complete ready to fish and if she doesn't take to it then you have yourself a decent backup. The same thing with the Orvis Clearwater 2 outfit. They may be a little more than you want to spend and if so, the Eagle Claw Featherlight is an awesome rod for the money. The glass feels a little thin and it won't take a beating but for $30 or so, what can you expect. Just throw a nice phfueger reel on it and some line. Another you might want to consider is the new Cabelas glass rod or an older model. I just saw a post for a complete setup. I will look to see if I can find it and give you the link. Good luck

Back