Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Fly Tying Equipment - Bass Pro Shop

From Granville
Bass Pro's "White River Fly Shop" isn't all that bad in my opinion. Of course they will have everything you need to start. Sure it may not be as hip as other fly only shops but if you've got a gift card it certainly can be put to good use. Those cheap AA vises are certainly adequate to learn on. Bucktail assortment from there would be fine and you'd learn to tie basic streamers that will catch nearly any fish. Get some hooks, thread, beads, etc and just dive in. They carry many of the same brands you find in other fly shops so just give it a whirl. I tied on the cheap vise from cabela's for years and it worked great. You don't need to spend a lot to get started for tools and such but material costs will add up as you want to tie more and more patterns.

Posted on: 1/15 8:09

From Latrobe
Thank you everyone for the advice! My wife actually got me an Orvis Fly Tying book for Christmas this year, and I've really liked what I've read so far. That along with all the videos online I'm hoping should be sufficient. I plan on taking a class eventually, I know they are offering one in Bedford, PA here soon. I was thinking about getting a kit at first, but I think I just may opt to get the tools separately. I appreciate everyone telling me to not get frustrated with the process. My biggest worry is that I have fat fingers, and I'm impatient, both of which don't go well with fly tying xD. But I've been molding my patience with fishing. I really want to one day say I caught a fish on my own fly. I'm originally from Latrobe, PA so I want to tie a green weenie first haha, go ahead you can judge away. I figure the green weenie won't be too hard of a pattern to start with! Really, I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.

Posted on: 1/20 10:07

From Little Juniata
Quote:

fishingn00b101 wrote:
Thank you everyone for the advice! My wife actually got me an Orvis Fly Tying book for Christmas this year, and I've really liked what I've read so far. That along with all the videos online I'm hoping should be sufficient. I plan on taking a class eventually, I know they are offering one in Bedford, PA here soon. I was thinking about getting a kit at first, but I think I just may opt to get the tools separately. I appreciate everyone telling me to not get frustrated with the process. My biggest worry is that I have fat fingers, and I'm impatient, both of which don't go well with fly tying xD. But I've been molding my patience with fishing. I really want to one day say I caught a fish on my own fly. I'm originally from Latrobe, PA so I want to tie a green weenie first haha, go ahead you can judge away. I figure the green weenie won't be too hard of a pattern to start with! Really, I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out.

Its funny that mostly everone that gets into fly fishing / tying feels almost embarrassed to tie a green weenie, when in reality no modern nymph fisherman will have a box without green weenies, mop flies, worms and eggs of all sorts of shapes and sizes. Junk flies work, so don't be afraid to tie up a bunch of green weenies and fish em.

My suggestion is to spend the extra coin on tungsten beads rather than regular beads, it truly makes a big difference.
Tie up your weenies with a tung bead and some lead wraps, and fish em with confidence

Posted on: 1/20 10:16

From Philadelphia
I'd say stay away from Bass Pro. Get a copy of American Angler and look for the flyshop adds and send for catalogs. Best bet is to find a flyshop near you and make friends!

Posted on: 1/25 19:33

From Lilly, PA
You are going from Latrobe to Bedford for a class? There should be something closer.

Posted on: 1/26 22:03

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

NewSal wrote:

Its funny that mostly everone that gets into fly fishing / tying feels almost embarrassed to tie a green weenie, when in reality no modern nymph fisherman will have a box without green weenies, mop flies, worms and eggs of all sorts of shapes and sizes. Junk flies work, so don't be afraid to tie up a bunch of green weenies and fish em.

This is a distinctly Pennsylvanian point of view.

Posted on: 1/31 2:18

From Latrobe
I actually live in Somerset now, there are closer streams, but a lot of the ones in Westmoreland are overfished. I don't think I ever went to the delayed harvest section of the Loyalhanna without a few people in the stream (it's not that large of a section). So, I usually travel a bit to fishing. There is more room up here in Somerset, I've been fishing in Laurel Hill Creek a bunch, but you just don't see the same hatches you would up in Altoona/State College areas. There is more bug life in Somerset than Latrobe/Ligonier area though. I don't think I ever saw a mayfly in Ligonier/Latrobe...and I went out pretty frequently. Plus the streams got too hot come end of May...

Posted on: 2/2 9:03

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip.
One or two.
Three or four.
More than four.
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com