Fly Identification Help: Red Quill?

S

Savage109

I stopped at Pike Run after work last night to get a few casts in, and just as I was about to conclude that no fish existed in the stream a fish clobbered a bug on the other side of the hole. I caught a similar one and snapped a picture (attached below) before deciding that a #16 Red quill was the closest thing I had in my box. I tied one on and gave the hole a couple casts, but I guess something about my presentation wasn't right as I was unable to generate any interest.

Was I on the right track with the red quill?

8VUlXHi.jpg

No. It's hard to make out what it is, but it's definitely not a red quill (male Hendrickson.) They don't have stripes on their legs, and their wings aren't mottled.

That's not to say that a Red Quill (artificial) wouldn't be a good match.

If it were larger, I'd guess a March Brown (from what I can make out) but size 16 is way too small. It's a male spinner of some sort.

The markings on the legs make me think its a quill gordon, however I'm far from an entomologist.

Thanks for the replies guys. I often have difficulty figuring out what to tie one. So I try to learn as much as I can everytime I see any action on the water.

Not really. QG's are much larger than a size 16 (about a size 12). I agree that the leg markings make it look like something from the clinger mayflies (why I said that it reminded me of a March Brown spinner.)

Look at where the dark splotches are on the leading edge of the wing.

Without being able to see the rear wing or count the tails, though, it's hard to even hazard a guess.

Male spinner, I agree it looks small for a QG. Huh!

a little late to the party but that may be a grey fox spinner -male.

Back