First try at tying

laurelrun

laurelrun

Figured I would give tying a try this winter. So I signed up for a couple classes. My first couple are pretty sloppy but I feel about as confident as the first time I cast a fly. Practice is helping and I am sticking to patterns I fish a lot. Here are some black buggers I tied tonight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 11
They look ok to me. The fish will tell you if they are good ones. I'd fish them. GG

I started tying last March. The lessons you signed up for are a great way to start. After than, videos and a beginner book. Use the fly tying section of the forum to ask questions and post pics of your flies. And practice a lot.

Here's a good video on the wooley bugger:

All of the In the Riffle videos are good. Here's another on the wooley bugger:

Laurelrun, not bad at all for your first few. I would keep the tails a bit shorter. Like the olive one in the video RC Fetter showed. I try to keep them about a hook shank long on an average streamer hook.

Nice job though,

GenCon

Listen to the advice given here and read the Tying Forum section for more tips. The people here are great mentors and will give good critiques.

Remember that it's like GulfGreyhound stated, the fish will tell you if you are tying well.

Enjoy!

It's always neat to hear from a brand new fly tier. Wooly Buggers are a great pattern to start on. Keep practicing and save one of those first three flies to compare to some of the ones you tie later on. You will be amazed at the difference in your flies in a short period of time if you stay with it and keep tying. Any one of your original buggers will absolutely catch fish. Keep up the good work.

I appreciate the encouragement, all. I am looking forward to reporting back to you all when we catch a warm spell and I get some time on the water.

laurelrun wrote:
I appreciate the encouragement, all. I am looking forward to reporting back to you all when we catch a warm spell and I get some time on the water.

Based on temps the last couple of times I was out, 30's will be a warm up!

Back