First trout! - Little Lehigh

T

Testudo20

Today I caught my first three trout ever, which were also my first three fish on a fly. I fished the Little Lehigh today. The air was about 53 degrees and the skies were overcast, which I found helpful because I could better see the bottom features.

I fished for a while with so success. I thought it might be another strike out. I then attached some split shot to my tippet to make sure i was getting down to the fish, and sure enough I landed three and hooked another two! The first two were on an olive wooly bugger, and the third was on a pheasant tail nymph.

I'd like to thank those on this forum who have helped me thus far in my fly fishing experience. Might not have caught these fellas today were it not for you.

Congrats! Sounds like a great day!

Congratulations!

Sounds like a fine start to a lifelong addiction. ;-)

If I had a nickel for every time I added weight and started to catch fish, I could retire. You learned a very important lesson. Nice job!!!!!

Congratulations!

Welcome to an amazing addiction.

With weather conditions, you picked a perfect day to go out. That first trout on the fly rod is what started my addiction. Congrats on your first fish, and welcome to Pa Fly Fish!

Congrats. Picking up your first trout on a fly in the month of January is really no small feat. Just wait till the fish really get active and the fishing gets good. You have many great days ahead of you to look forward to. So many streams to fish and so much to learn is IMO what makes flyfishing so much fun. Nice job!

Congratulations, way to think things through. And in January to boot. :cool:

Congrats - gotta love it when a plan comes together.

Congrats, you only catch your first trout on a flyrod once in your lifetime. It's a memory you will have forever.

Good stuff Testudo and welcome to the forum.

Where in Bucks are you?

Good stuff!!! Did you happen to get any photos of your catch? Some guys like to memorialize the event by retireing the fly, I have with lure and made a nice case with the photo o the first fish. Also helps to decorate the tying area.

Stagger, I am from Chalfont, near Doylestown.

Love2Fish that sounds perfectly up my alley but unfortunately I lost the fly to a tree branch a few casts later. haha. I do have a picture though, so I'll print that one out. Thanks for the idea!

Ah .. I live right outside Newtown. Again, welcome to the world of FF and to the forum. You will get some really good info here from a great group of guys and girl (hi CathyG :)).

Congrats!

Testudo20 wrote:
Stagger, I am from Chalfont, near Doylestown.

Love2Fish that sounds perfectly up my alley but unfortunately I lost the fly to a tree branch a few casts later. haha. I do have a picture though, so I'll print that one out. Thanks for the idea!

Yea that tends to happen. When/if you statr tying its something to think about.
I live in Morrisville. All of us Bucks county folk should look at getting together one day thers a nice handfull of us and a couple are new to FFing for trout.

Congratulations! It's a great feeling when you put it all together and can start catching fish. Just wait till your first day of major top water action. Fish smashing dry flies will really get you going.
Tight Lines!

Back