First Fly Fishing Weekend

Pontus

Pontus

So I hit the water Friday and Saturday of this weekend. Both times I got out around 4 and stayed until late evening. Friday I mostly just got used to casting in a current, line control, etc. I got skunked, but between the three of us (one beginner, one average, one good) we only caught one fish. Then Saturday I went out alone and caught a 7'' rainbow and a 6'' smallmouth, both dead drifting a bead head hares ear size 14. I think I probably missed a lot of strikes, but I started to learn how to keep a tight line and I've been watching the tip of my fly line as a strike indicator of sorts. I think I'm improving, though. Planning on going out again this Saturday.

There's a nice section of tailwater, 3 miles of fly fishing only, that runs pretty much right next to me. That's where I went Saturday night, and I plan to go this Saturday morning to explore some more and try to find some good fishing holes.

Sorry... no pictures. I had my phone with me, but I just got caught up in the moment and set the fish free without even thinking about it. I'll be sure to take some next time though.

The next 6 weeks or so are prime time of year for fly fishing. Hopefully you'll have an opportunity to cast dries to rising fish soon. While fishing dries may not be the most productive technique in terms of fish landed, there is something special about watching the fish take the fly on the surface. Good luck!

Do you think Adams and Light Cahill in various patterns and sizes would be enough to cover my dry needs for now? I'm just not trying to blow a fortune on flies.

Yeah, you can get by with that. Look for sulphers in the next two weeks. Sulphers are light colored mayflies (yellow/orange) and range in size from 14-18, usually starting in mid May with the larger size (14) and progressing to smaller (18) by sometime in June. A properly sized light cahill will take fish during this hatch.

Pontus wrote:
Do you think Adams and Light Cahill in various patterns and sizes would be enough to cover my dry needs for now? I'm just not trying to blow a fortune on flies.

Pontus

Get yourself some Sulfphurs!

PaulG

With most beginners, to get some fish under their belt, I usually suggest fishing a woolly bugger. You can drift, swing, strip, or let it sit in the current and still catch fish. Strike detection will NOT be a problem.

Dries are fun for sure! Give them a try.

Sounds like your hooked. Good fishing.

I don't have any wooly buggers right now, but I'm working on getting my hands on some.

And I am most definitely hooked.

Back