Finally got my first brown, and fell in love with centeral pa

D

DJBerg

So my buddy and i decided last minute to go check out the Tioga/Pottter County fishing, and what an awesome trip it was!!!

Left home wed afternoon fished abit of the genesee head waters area, no fish but nice little time on the water. Left there for camp, on a random googling adventure we found a creek with some state game land on it so that was our destination. got there and sure thing wherre we planned on just sleeping in the van, someone previous had a nice fire ring and we were set for the night.

with a little looking at the water from head light light, and the touch of nice cold trout friendly water, we were stoked to say the least! a beer, and a samich and we turned in to wake up to this.

DSC_2332 by dj.berg, on Flickr

and i also even had the tripod with me so i got a nice long exposure as well.

DSC_2335 by dj.berg, on Flickr

this was a kettle creek trib, not a mind blower fish wise but we both got into a few for the time we fished it. my buddy scummy doing his streamer thing.

DSC_2337 by dj.berg, on Flickr

and as i was not having much luck i was watching some thing pretty much pure white coming off the water, so i decided it was time for one of my white wulff type flies, and a few runs with noting going on scummy says why are you fishing top water? there nothing rising... 3 casts later this little guy liked my offering and he had to eat it! my first brown, and pretty cool feeling first brown being a wild one! even if he was only 7-8"

DSC_2338 by dj.berg, on Flickr

him followed by a mix of litttle (3-5" browns and brookies). we decided it was time to check out other waters. back to Harold(the van), driving parallel to the kettle Scummy decides we should just see what's goin on in this bridge hole of another trib. i had to rebuild my leader so i was a few minutes behind
him. with my now trustie white wulff, i throw a few at the tail of the bridge hole, and BAM 14-16" brown!(will get an accurate measurement in a bit, he was exactly as long as my butt of the rod to the silver tread wrap on my 3wt) landed him so stoked, i forgot i had my drift(pov cam) in my pocket and had left my dslr in the van to just run down and hit this one hole, so no photo but happy me fist "larger trout"!!!!

left there adventured around and did some other water scouting off the pine, decided to fish one last bit before heading home, yeah we covered a few holes and both decided we should just call it an awesome day, we were tired. back to th van to see a big black bear about 150 yards down the road, but he was back off the road and in the woods in a matter of seconds. in the van and drove home checking a few other waters from the road!

and the moral of the story is, we will definitely be doing alot more fishing in the potter/tioga counties!!!!!

What a great report - like the enthusiasm.
The creeks look like they have a pretty good flow. On summer mornings when the water is high like you experienced, a large attractor style dry fly or big terrestrials like crickets can really slay 'em.

That part of the state is just magical!

Never underestimate dries on freestoners in summer. Don't have to see risers, just blind cast to likely looking spots. It often works, as you saw.

Yeah, that part of the state is awesome, and glad you got up there. I think you've got the disease now. You're welcome. :)

Pat, its was awesome! I emailed you found a spot. We should camp n brookie it up! Theres a sweet camping spot on there where another teib runs in a good 3/4 mile past the "parking" area. Grab swattie n boychick and make a night or two out of it. So perfect so away, and good brookie waters.

Sounds like a great time. I got up to Tioga County a few weeks and I can't wait to get back.

Potter County has always had some great fishing . Glad to see you got into them. GG

Good report, glad you got into some good fish. I've never been to that part of the state, but would love to explore it some time. I'd be up for the overnight. Let me know if you put it together. By the way, love that first pic.

boychick let me see what happens in the near future, i cant say when yet but there are very much so high personal demansds to get back there asap! but then again there are be many other awesome waters all over pa that i've not seen lol. and yeah... lost of streams to explore and fish not enough time! but fo now that way is my leaning destination, or realistically anything good water wise from there west. :)

Understandable... There is so much good water in PA.

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!

what to do... spey nation is coming up on the 21st up on the salmon river, really wanna go to that, but going back here is really weighing in heavy and skipping spey nation. but i could learn so much there, but i can learn fish more awesomeness! ARGHHHHH!

Back