Fall Fishing

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

As the temps cool and trout fishing comes back into full swing ..

From what I have learned, correct me if I'm wrong, the AM seems to always be prime (let me know if there are others) time no matter the season. That said, decent fishing thru out the day?

///Yeah, yeah, might be a 'stupid' question but that is what this forum is for and I have only been fishing since May :cool:

** Edit mainly the areas I would be fishing Berks, Bucks, Mont, and what ever county the LL is in as different environments will have always have different conditions

If you are after the better fish sundown to sunup unless you get an overcast,spitting rain or snow day.
When I loved in Montana I would take a couple weeks vacation during the full moon either late sept. or early oct..
Fished while the moon was out.-slept and smoked cigars during the day.
a quarter century of being a fanatical trophy trout streamer fisherman taught me
A.its not safety but water temp that determines when the big ones feed.After the daytime water temps drop below the preferred temp for the species they will change their feeding habits accordingly.
B. don't buy into the B.S. about dark of the moon being better-it's not-just an old fishermens tale derived from the fact they tend to feed in spurts-maybe nothing for several hours then the river comes alive for a while-you gotta be there to catch it.lol
This is for four pounders and up.
You asked so that's my input.-don't know how much help that will be on valley creek.

Oh,that was Montgomery county.
Trout are trout.lol

Dang I thought this was about fly-fishing for fall fish.

Yeah man fishing in the fall is my favorite! I fish from sun-up to sun-down! Sometimes well into the dark too.

As the days gets shorter - and the temps get cooler - the peak fishing time will change around to the afternoon hours again - just like in the spring.

As the days gets shorter - and the temps get cooler - the peak fishing time will change around to the afternoon hours again - just like in the spring.

This is what I am looking at. As the kiddies get into the swing of school and business slows down, I'm gonna try to do a lil more fishing during the week, hr here, few hrs there. Also gets my wife off my *** as I can watch the kiddies play their AM soccer on the weekends and get out afterwards. Gonna have to have that talk with her in the next few days and lay the law down lol

Have only fished for trout once this summer b/ if I was lucky enough to tackle work early and clear out my schedule by 1PM .. to hot to head anywhere and sometime fish in general.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Have only fished for trout once this summer b/ if I was lucky enough to tackle work early and clear out my schedule by 1PM .. to hot to head anywhere and sometime fish in general.

I think you are in the majority with that statement. It's been too hot to fish this summer and most streams are running low, and in some cases warmer than normal.

I am hoping September brings lots of rain and cooler temps, so that October and November can offer decent fishing. If not I'll be taking a break from fishing until next Spring.

Seriously .. few weeks ago had a free hr so I hit a local spot. By the time I rigged up and got into my waders, sweating bullets. I had h2o with me but after an hr I gave up .. basically seeing double and thought I was going to pass out.

Fishin with the Fox, you don't have these issues. Hell, I was home by 9AM and the family was just getting their bearings, planning out the day.

Mornings are always good, especially if you're the first one on the stream. As days shorten and get cooler there will be more activity during the day and more consistant fishing during the evenings. Small rusty spinners near dark work very well, they should be #18 or 20 on most streams. Some streams will have some very large hex spinners during the evening, you know what they are by the way they fly, they fly straight up and then at the top of their flight parachute down to about head level. A #4, #6 or #8 are the sizes you'll need. The sexes are dimorphic, they are different colors the males are dark brown and the females are considerably lighter, yellow to tan.

That's what old fishing caps are for-dip them in the water and put them on.Bandannas ,soaked and worn around the neck help but moving to Montana is the best remedy .Out there hypothermia is a bigger problem than heat exhaustion.lol

There's an old adage "fish in the comfortable part of the day". That means in the summer, fish early in the morning, and in the evening. In cooler weather, fish in the early afternoon. Not only are fish more active at those times, but so are the bugs.

Thanks for starting this topic and thanks for all the responses, this is all good info for my first fall of fishing.

And yeah my low budget 5mm neopreens are really toasty... The other day I went for a random drive up to see what Chautauqua creek was doing and try long casting into lake Erie in hopes of maybe a Steelehead waiting for the creek to start flowing... Yeah all I did was march a half mile down a sand gravel beach to find a 4' wide trickle coming into the lake and was sweating to death...

Check the Solanar Tables.

Grew up about 3 miles from Where John Alden Knight lived.
as a night fisherman I believe there is something to the tables.

Back