HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: FF with little time?
From Monessen, PA
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
There's no reason why you can't continue to spin fish once you've taken up fly fishing (FFing).... FFing ... shouldn't be considered more fun.

What?!

Posted on: 2010/4/5 13:30

From pittsburgh
the best advice i can give is to keep at it i am currently trying to teach my brother how to do this and im even not that good at it i have been ff for 4 or 5 years now and i feel my tying skills surpass my fishing skills the advice i gave my brother is the same ill give to you wether its right or not fish your flies as you would bait take what you already know from other forms of fishing and try that it will take time but it works you may need more weight due to tapered lines another thing too i told my brother i dont know how right this is either try to keep your leader about 6 inches shorter than your rod it seems to work for him he often out fishes me he casts like crap sometimes even cracks his flies on the back cast and refuses to use a nymph so take it for what its worth im sure they will crucify me on dicrepencies<sp> abd i hope so so i can correct them myself

Posted on: 2010/4/5 21:23

-me

From Monessen, PA
Nello, the spelling was fine, but maybe investigate the usefulness of the comma and period.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 9:27

From Chester County
Jack is right. Without changing a word here is your post with punctuation and paragraphs.
Quote:

flipnfly (edited version):
The best advice i can give is to keep at it. I am currently trying to teach my brother how to do this, and I'm even not that good at it. I have been ff for 4 or 5 years now, and I feel my tying skills surpass my fishing skills. The advice I gave my brother is the same I'll give to you, whether its right or not, fish your flies as you would bait. Take what you already know from other forms of fishing and try that. It will take time, but it works. You may need more weight due to tapered lines.

Another thing too, I told my brother I don't know how right this is either, try to keep your leader about 6 inches shorter than your rod.

It seems to work for him. He often out-fishes me. He casts like crap, sometimes even cracks his flies on the back cast and refuses to use a nymph, so take it for what its worth.

I'm sure they will crucify me on dicrepencies abd i hope so, so I can correct them myself.

A few ...,,,makes all the difference.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 9:42

Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town

jlamb- FF with little time.

Forgive me as I did'nt read the above posts but here are some suggestions to answer your question.

Take the few minutes available at home and practice. Heck practice rigging etc.. so you can save time on the stream.

Here is another- get to know your home waters. Obvouisly close means more time fishing but more time spent in just a couple places will allow you to "figure" it out as it were and you can take those breakthroughs with you on to the next stream. You should see faster results.

Fly fishing is something that takes time and practice. When success comes it will be rewarding! Good luck with your fly angling pursuit.

Posted on: 2010/4/6 9:52

I can relate to your frustration and one thing that I can recommend to cure your "catching some fish" problem is to suggest that you spend some time fly fishing for other species, specifically warm-water fish. Bluegill and Crappie fishing can be off the hook in the Spring months and there is nothing that gets a grin on my face faster than to watch these aggressive little buggers crush a top water offering. You can also target Bass, both large and smallmouth with exciting results with your trout set-up. If nothing else, you will continue to develop your casting skills, your stealth approach and your ability to read water and spot fish will also improve. Because I live closer to warm water fisheries than I do prime trout water and I also have a job, family and a life, it is easier for me to slip out after work for an hour or two to fish for Bass, Panfish or Carp and get my f/f fix and more often than not, I catch a fish or two! Stay with it my friend and make some time to get on the water and get some pullage on the end of that long stick!

JA

Posted on: 2010/4/9 8:53

From pittsburgh
lol i always hated punctuation but heres a few ....... thats the most you will get out of me

Posted on: 2010/4/9 20:31

-me

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com