Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Egg Pattern

From Pittsburgh, Pa
Is it worthwhile trying to use egg patterns in pa?

Posted on: 3/21 22:14

Re: Egg Pattern

From South Central,PA
Yes. Freshly Stocked rainbows love them. I like to use them in a double rig, tied as a dropper off the eye of the hook on my first fly.

Posted on: 3/21 23:14

From Indiana, PA
Ive had some success here with them as well. I use single eggs and sucker spawn in different sizes and colors.

Posted on: 3/21 23:43

From Lewistown
On spring creeks, when the suckers are spawning, I run sucker spawn flies through the suckers and almost always hook up with trout hanging out behind them.

Posted on: 3/22 10:52

From Ferguson Twp.
^^This^^ especially on Spring creek here in Statecollege. One call to FFP will get you all the info you could possibly want on this subject. A short time ago I sat and talked with Steve while he tie a bunch of beadhead sucker spawn up.

Posted on: 3/22 11:00

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, I use them commonly.

- Freshly stocked rainbows love them. Typically my first choice just after a stocking, and still 2nd or 3rd choice even after they've been in the stream a month or so and have picked up on some natural food items.

- Rainbows in general seem to like em. For wild bows they usually aren't my first choice. But when nothing's working I still tie one on and they usually avoid the skunking.

- Browns, eh, seems that for them to work, REAL eggs have to be on the natural dinner plate. That does happen, for instance during sucker spawning runs in early spring, or lake-run browns chasing steelhead upstream. They can be deadly on browns in those situations. But the rest of the year they seem to get ignored an awful lot.

- Brookies are somewhere in between. They seem to hit just about anything decently, but there's no "magic trigger" like eggs with bows or baitfish with browns.

As far as color, if there's a natural color, match it. Otherwise, dark, opague colors for cloudy water conditions. Deep red, bright pink, chartreuse, etc. Lighter, pastel type colors for clearer water. Cream, light pink (salmon), peach, etc.

Posted on: 3/24 10:37

From Pennsylvania
I will fish a weighted green weenie and tie an unweighted eggfly off the bend of the hook. Trout follow the weenie and grab the egg....stocked browns and rainbows. Don't forget blue! Trout like blue ones!

Posted on: 3/27 18:25

From Shipp
As said...very good for fresh stockers. I like to tie them with a bead head and not use weight. Unless you need to get deep in a hurry.

Posted on: 4/1 7:23

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com