Education - Lessons

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

I've been fishing for over 50 years but fly fishing is brand new to me. I'd like to get some lessons, classes, etc. in the how to part of fly fishing. I need help with casting and the various casts. I can get by in the back yard but throw in wind or impediments and I need some tips.

I'd like to know the best way to work a stream under X circumstances. Right now, I just guess and use my bass fishing experience.

I don't have much of a clue to the hatch thing but I assume I'll start to learn that on the water when I grab some of them. But, what type of fly do I use, wet, dry, nymph, or something else.

There must be some good schools, classes, that I could take. I tend to like small classes or one-to-one. If any of you teach and want a new student, I'm interested. I've always been a proponent of finding an expert and learn directly from them. I'm still a bit hampered with a back issue so I can't drive long distances to go to a school or fish (right now).

I really appreciate this site and everyone's help. I'm looking forward to getting out and meeting more of you in-person.

Since nobody responded, I'll give a quick outline of what I've done already to learn on my own. I use the Orvis learning center and YouTube for videos. I've bought and read most of the books that folks on the forum have recommended. I got and use The Accelerator to get a feel for casting at home. Orvis has the PractiCaster. Should I use one during the winter and when I can't get out?

I know Orvis has the school in Farmington but a 4 hour drive is more than my back can do right now so that's out until next year. I can find lots of schools on the Internet but they are all out of geographic reach until I can drive/ride more than a couple of hours at a time.

I was hoping to find someone local who has a school or teaches. Paid - of course. I'm pretty sure a name was mentioned at the Newbie Jam this year but I did't meet whoever was mentioned.

And, I'd like to pay for a couple of classes on the water so I can ask questions, watch, and learn.

You may wish to try The Sporting Gentleman

http://www.sportinggentleman.com/home.html

Nice folks and Mary Kuss is a great teacher.

Good Luck!

You're on the right path because I can see you have a drive to learn the sport. If you weren't so far from Central PA I'd offer to help.

What I can say is call a local guide in your area and ask them to teach you. TCO gives classes as well.

It may be a little late for this year...but next year, attend some of the "Jams" the other members organize. You'll get to meet other members who have a great deal of experience and happily share it with you. Many will cut short their time on the water just to help a new person out. It's happened to me quite a few times as I was in your shoes a few years ago, and I am great full to all who helped me out.

There are guys who are expert casters, entomology gurus, know the streams and rivers like the back of their hands, and on and on and on. There's even a few certified BS experts too...but that's just for fun later. Haha! It's a great place to start and you would be surprised how much you'll learn. Plus it doesn't cost you a thing. Well minus a few beers. lol

Fly shops are ok...IMO. Sometimes you get a good guy who knows his business sometimes it's a guy who should stick to folding shirts.

Plus you make some great friends who I look forward to see each year at the various Jams. Give it a try.

FW

Rolf wrote:
You may wish to try The Sporting Gentleman

http://www.sportinggentleman.com/home.html

Nice folks and Mary Kuss is a great teacher.

Good Luck!

I've never been down to The Sporting Gentleman but I found their name here on the forum early this year and contacted them for some help in buying a few things. They have been very helpful with superb service and I have Mary's guide that Christine sent me.

Great suggestion. Thank you.

BrookieChaser wrote:
You're on the right path because I can see you have a drive to learn the sport. If you weren't so far from Central PA I'd offer to help.

What I can say is call a local guide in your area and ask them to teach you. TCO gives classes as well.

That's very kind of you! When I get this back fixed well enough to travel to Central PA, I'll drop you note if only to stop and say hello.

Fishwagen wrote:
It may be a little late for this year...but next year, attend some of the "Jams" the other members organize. You'll get to meet other members who have a great deal of experience and happily share it with you. Many will cut short their time on the water just to help a new person out. It's happened to me quite a few times as I was in your shoes a few years ago, and I am great full to all who helped me out.

There are guys who are expert casters, entomology gurus, know the streams and rivers like the back of their hands, and on and on and on. There's even a few certified BS experts too...but that's just for fun later. Haha! It's a great place to start and you would be surprised how much you'll learn. Plus it doesn't cost you a thing. Well minus a few beers. lol

Fly shops are ok...IMO. Sometimes you get a good guy who knows his business sometimes it's a guy who should stick to folding shirts.

Plus you make some great friends who I look forward to see each year at the various Jams. Give it a try.

FW

I made it to the Newbie Jam for the indoor session only as I had back surgery shortly after.

I have been frustrated as all get out looking at the Jams that were held this year and wanting to attend. But, my surgery and recovery isn't working according to plan so I'm dealing with it for now.

My plan is to attend as many Jams as possible next year as I'm working hard and also getting additional medical procedures to fix things.

It would be great to have a few indoor Jams that could help get us through the winter months (although I know many of you fly fish 12 months a year).

I'm also offering here to meet up with people in my area - middle Bucks County, East Rockhill, Doylestown, etc. I'd be happy to host some get together's (I'll buy the beer.) And, I'd like to meet some locals who will be going to Jams next year so we can split the transportation. It's easier for me to ride than drive. You drive - I'll pay.

Trout Unlimited Chapter in your area- like minded folks. My knock on the ones I've been to is you can't be a wall flower or know one may speak to you. I think that is a problem with some of them. My advice at the meetings is introduce yourself etc and guys will open up.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side.

In addition to TU there are some other groups, such as Mainline Fly Tiers.

Welcome to the Jungle!

If you can't connect with one of the many knowledgeable individuals on here (I do not include myself as one of them) a one on one with one of the recommended guides will be a big help.

I go down to the Little Lehigh in Allentown from time to time and could meet to impart what little I know. Or you could observe and learn what not to do by watching me.

Keep asking questions and get on the water when you can

Good Luck!

Dave

Thank you. PM sent.

I live in Berks County, will help you if you wish, although this won't happen for 2 weeks. Your cost? - a smile on your face if I help you, and a request to pass it on if it sticks. Casting, stream tactics, fly selection and entomology basics, etc. PM me if interested. I believe I learned a thing or three being a fly tying and fly fishing junkie for 53 years.

outsider wrote:
I live in Berks County, will help you if you wish, although this won't happen for 2 weeks. Your cost? - a smile on your face if I help you, and a request to pass it on if it sticks. Casting, stream tactics, fly selection and entomology basics, etc. PM me if interested. I believe I learned a thing or three being a fly tying and fly fishing junkie for 53 years.

Thank you so much. PM sent.

djs12354 wrote:
Welcome to the Jungle!

If you can't connect with one of the many knowledgeable individuals on here (I do not include myself as one of them) a one on one with one of the recommended guides will be a big help.

I go down to the Little Lehigh in Allentown from time to time and could meet to impart what little I know. Or you could observe and learn what not to do by watching me.

Keep asking questions and get on the water when you can

Good Luck!

Dave

Thank you, Dave. PM Sent.

It looks like you have the right attitude for this addiction called "fly fishing"

I'm retired and pretty much fish (or hunt)4-5 days a week year round.This is just a thought,to get you up the ff learning curve quickly:plan on a 2 or three day fly fishing trip early in 2016,with a forum member.This way you can have concentrated ,on stream experience with casting,dealing with different flow situations,insect selection,etc.

After I figure out my planned fishing trips and Jam trips for 2016,I'll PM you.

Although I am just an average caster,I've been ff for 50 years,so I've learned a few things.I would be willing to hang with you on the stream ,fish with you, and share whatever I know.

Thank you. I'd enjoying getting together with you. I'm still a bit hobbled with back issues but it is amazing how much better I feel when I'm fishing. Works better on pain than the drugs they try and feed me.

Treat trout like bass in April on their spawn beds. Extra spooky, can see you, and anything splashing on the water makes them nervous.

Captain

My suggestion is the same as others.....Hit up as many Jams as you can and take any opportunity to fish with the guys on the forum as you can. These guys are full of knowledge and are open to pass it on. If you can make it to the big Jam in May that would be awesome. A couple days worth of fishing and learning.....that is my plan this year.

My offer still stands, contact me if you wish,.

Back