Dumb question - parking on side of road to fish?

M

mark2741

This may seem like a dumb question and maybe it is but here goes...

When I was a young kid I would tag along with some friends as their dad drove us to this creek about 45 minutes away. I always loved this place and we caught lots of sunfish and the occasional "big" fish : )

Using google maps' satellite imagery, I recently figured out the exact location of where we always fished that creek (I had no idea even what the name of it was/is until recently). Problem is, there's no obvious public parking nearby. There is, just off the side of the main road, a pulloff that was/is an entryway into what looks like a small parking area. But it's always roped off (I drove by a few times on my way to Green Lane Reservoir). It's even roped off on the Google Maps image so I am guessing it is always closed.

There *is* enough room to safely pull over into that side of the road but I don't want to get a ticket/towed. See picture here of what I'm referring to:

https://imgur.com/a/are4LSb

In case you're wondering - this is "Swamp Creek" in Schwenksville, PA.

So the big question: is it legal to park there on the side of that road?

It's not a dumb question at all.

My guess would be that it isn't a good idea to park there.

If you can identify the landowner you might ask for permission to access the area. Tell 'em you fished there as a kid and are respectful of the property etc. If they say yes, you can ask about where to park. Oftentimes, if property isn't posted (and sometimes if it is) if you ask nicely you can get access.

mark2741 wrote:

There is, just off the side of the main road, a pulloff that was/is an entryway into what looks like a small parking area. But it's always roped off (I drove by a few times on my way to Green Lane Reservoir). It's even roped off on the Google Maps image so I am guessing it is always closed.

I was not able to see the image.

But it sounds like what is roped off is a lane or drive.

Here is an important rule to follow:

Never block a lane.

The “Golden Rule” of parking for fishing...

If you’re not certain it’s ok to park there, it’s probably not ok.

If you park there anyway, make sure you have cell service AND make sure your wife is free to come get you later and take you down to the local tow yard.

And NEVER block a lane or gate.

If you aren't a local who knows for sure what the local property owner/customs are then don't park there. You can definitely develop relationships with questionable areas and realize after a while it will be fine because the land owner isn't around much or just doesn't care.

From looking at the pics of the area you posted, there are several houses near by. Just knock on a few doors. They may own the property or will surely know who does, and they would likely be able to tell you if parking is permitted or even give you permission to park there.

If it's just out of nostalgia, go fish it. Otherwise, to drive an hour to fish it would be a waste of time. It's really not been fishing all that well the last few years and right now it's very low. I almost never fish it so I'm not trying to dissuade you from going to my secret spot. Just trying to save you a trip when, no matter where you're coming from, you'll cross dozens of better options. if you do go, just past the pulloff you can make a right and park at the closed bridge. I see cars there all the time.

Thanks everyone! I will avoid parking there!

Thanks! It would be great to see that old spot - fished it many times circa 1981 - 1984 and can still picture the small falls and other features.

I was only ~11 or 12 years old when we fished there and we were driven there from the inner city so it felt like it was another country at the time : ) I had no idea it was there until recently I asked one of the kids whose father always took us and he told me the general vicinity. Turned out I had been driving right past it on my way to Green Lane reservoir.

If it's just out of nostalgia, go fish it. Otherwise, to drive an hour to fish it would be a waste of time. It's really not been fishing all that well the last few years and right now it's very low. I almost never fish it, so I'm not trying to dissuade you from going to my secret spot. Just trying to save you a trip when, no matter where you're coming from, you'll cross dozens of better options. if you do go, just past the pulloff you can make a right and park at the closed bridge. I see cars there all the time.
I a second this, word for word. I fished it out of curiosity and it is slim pickens for any fish. If you really want to fish it...park at the closed bridge.

Back