Dry fly soft takes

G

Glenny

I'm relatively new to fly fishing and went to Muddy creek to initially try Nymphing but had no luck. Saw some risers so tied on an 18 BWO and had many sips and a couple of solid top water strikes but was unable to set the hook. Any advice would be much appreciated

Glen

Could be minnows or very small fish hitting your flies.

Glenny wrote:
I'm relatively new to fly fishing and went to Muddy creek to initially try Nymphing but had no luck. Saw some risers so tied on an 18 BWO and had many sips and a couple of solid top water strikes but was unable to set the hook. Any advice would be much appreciated

Glen

Just a thought, are you pausing for a second before hookset?

yes

Saying "god Save the Queen" before hookset

That's what we were always told "God save the Queen!" down in New Zealand. I guess in America you could try counting?

"God save the Queen" works when fishing downstream. If you're fishing upstream, a quicker hook set is often required.

Never thought about it too much, before, but I know I have a good hook up ratio when I am distracted. Must be just the right amount of pause.

Were the rises you saw refusals? That can be maddeningly frustrating even to a seasoned fly fisher. Sometimes it's the angle of the strike. If fish is down stream of you try setting at 90 degree angle to fish. Lot of variables and situtions. You are not alone. It's what brings us back time and again .. you had surface action which at this time of year is a treat. Good luck

Back