Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Dry Fly Fishing
From Monessen, PA
Harrumph! I've been calling it the reach cast. Now it is a mend. Dag-nabbit!

Posted on: 2013/7/29 12:34

From Gettysburg
SL,
Some good advice here.

I'd add that there are some situations where rising trout almost can't be hooked. This phenomena, in my experience, is pretty common on PA streams during the summer when fishing over heavily pressured fish. I see this develop almost every year on the special reg section of Yellow Breeches: by summer, the fish will rise and "take" flies but they're almost impossible to hook, even when you do everything right. The fish just aren't really taking the fly; they're mouthing it or nosing it but when you set the hook, nothing happens. It can be really exasperating. It wouldn't surprise me if a similar thing could occur on LL, esp in the "Kiddie Pool" where the fish just get pounded every day.

When I encounter this, I'll usually put a small dropper below the dry fly like a wet ant or a Zebra Midge. When taking flies subsurface, these fish seem to be much more hookable.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 12:35

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I have a couple of seconds b4 they spit it out/realize it isn’t a real bug?

I wouldnt' say a "couple of seconds". However, it often "feels" like a long time. In reality, if you see a fish coming and are anticipating, your reaction time is probably a tenth of a second or so. Heck, I've had negative time before, and actually pulled the fly away BEFORE the fish hits it, lol.

An appropriate time is probably between a half second and a second, which FEELS like forever.

Yeah, it depends on the type of rise, but a fish will often go down with the fly. That's when you want to hit him. Pointed downward, closed mouth. The lift up will get him in the roof of the mouth most of the times. And you don't really need any pressure with the hook set. Merely lift to take the slack out of the line and tighten it up.

Which is why too much slack is a common mistake.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 13:14

From Pittsburgh
The biggest problem I've seen with newbies fishing dry flies, is having too much slack - or belly - in the fly line. And when they lift the rod on a take, they're just pulling out that slack - instead of tightening up a hook set.

Once I get them to keep better control of the line, they usually start getting some hook ups

Posted on: 2013/7/29 17:25

From Ohio
Quote:
When I first started, I practiced a lot on warm water streams, fishing for sunfish. It's not the same as fishing for trout obviously, but it will help you turn the striking motion into muscle memory. And sunfish are not as finicky about drag as trout - they actually like it!

+1 I spent a lot of time fishing for sunfish with dry fies as practice for trout. I did my sunny fishing in a pond, it may be easier to do that so you can focus on the hook set and forget about drag/mending. Get the hookset down and then fish moving water to work on dealing with drag.

A good leader is very important for dry fly fishing. Try the Harvey slack leader or some variation of it.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 7:23

From Pittsburgh
Great info so far... My first thought is with HA. Considering other fish were refusing, it sounds like you were getting fish "nosing" it. Typically means you are "close, but no cigar." Could be a change in fly size, color, or presentation.

As for movement, there will be times when you want to "skitter" the fly to show some life.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 18:33

If you fish stream stretches where the fish are not pounded so hard, most of those problems will go away.

Posted on: 2013/7/30 21:44

From Couldn't Care Less
Beetle ...I put some bits and pieces (from u gents) together and got 2 on a beetle .. and I think JT tied'em lol. Feel like a lil kid but I wanted to report stream side from the kiddie pool on my first dry hook ups. Brang both to my feet as I tried to bring them to hand but they both count in my book.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 17:22

From Ohio
Congrats on those two. Stick with it. It will get easier as you spend more time fishing dries. A buddy of mine gave me some advice when I was learning to swing streamers for steelhead, I think that advice is applicable here. Just leave the nymph box at home. You'll be forced to figure it out or you won't catch fish. Just going out there and spending the time working on a new technique will result in imporved skills.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 18:34

From Couldn't Care Less
Holy sugar mags ... must be full moon tonight. Got 2 more and finally brought one to hand. Arnd 6ish 3 college kids showed up and must've thought I was such a geek .... there by myself saying "holy S". The hook advice was key as my cast were somewhat short to med length. So cool watch tjem approach, taking it, and getting one on. Feel like such a geek but this feels like the 1st time I got a birdie and I couldn't think of a better group to share the child like 'high' I'm on right now!

Posted on: 2013/7/31 20:06

From Ohio
Awesome man, very happy for you.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 20:11

From Abington
I am shedding a joyful tear here Andrew......Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Holy sugar mags ... must be full moon tonight. Got 2 more and finally brought one to hand. Arnd 6ish 3 college kids showed up and must've thought I was such a geek .... there by myself saying "holy S". The hook advice was key as my cast were somewhat short to med length. So cool watch tjem approach, taking it, and getting one on. Feel like such a geek but this feels like the 1st time I got a birdie and I couldn't think of a better group to share the child like 'high' I'm on right now!

Posted on: 2013/7/31 20:38

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Congrats, great job. Did you watch and observe the water for a period of time before you started fishing? IMO that's important. Remember that little talk we had last Saturday? Again it's great to hear your skills are improving. Keep at it.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 22:30

From Ferguson Twp.
Awesome, it's great when things start coming together. Good times.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 5:29

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
boychick wrote:

Awesome man, very happy for you.

Thanks and more imptly thanks for the advice (you and the others). Per leaving the nymphs @ home ... I'll leave'em in the car just in case real frustration sets in.

Quote:
VN wrote:

I am shedding a joyful tear here Andrew

Lol .. funny thing is my wife just doesn't get it so I need ur "tears of joy" . When I walked in the door last night I was rambling on abt my success that evening and she basically said "I dont get it? It isn't like you've never caught fish b4". Good women but just doesn't get it.

Quote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:
Congrats, great job. Did you watch and observe the water for a period of time before you started fishing? IMO that's important. Remember that little talk we had last Saturday? Again it's great to hear your skills are improving. Keep at it.

Yes sir! Took my time getting to the spot (observing where I thought they would be holding) as I could've just worked my way up stream. Was determined to fish dry only, just work on some of the different things discussed here (Have a few more questions but I'll post'em later) Only place I saw consistent rising was in the kiddie pool. Even took my time watching them rise there tho I don't know what they were rising to. FYI ... look @ my post, #10 in this thread ... I remember.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 6:04

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com