Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Do ducks put down fish?

From lower burrell, pa
I have never seen a duck with a brookie in it's bill, although I had a bird take a run at my dry at the Spring Jam. Now a pelican could do some damage

Posted on: 2013/7/26 19:50

I think mergansers spook the fish.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 22:06

From Christiana, Delaware
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
But that is because Aducker is a water flogger.

Btw Stagger, Jeff enjoys the one "sport" I hate more then soccer.

LOL I just saw this, you guys......:)

Posted on: 2013/7/28 14:40

From LV
There may be some spooking of fish because of ducks, but it depends on the circumstances. It's more likely that adult ducks put fish down if they are flushed then a family of ducks swimming. I say this because I'ved been fishing LV streams for a long time and they have loads of ducks, and it doesn't seem as though ducks bother them, and I fish among the ducks. I'm careful not to get too close to the ducks.
Reason being I've caught a few, ducks that is.
I was on the Connetqout on LI once when I was fishing there during feeding activity, when suddenly a small flock of ducks flew in and started feeding right in front of me but upstream a little bit. They got into the weeds and started shaking loosing food and the trout went nuts, and some very large trout were caught for about 1/2 while the ducks were there. Just as suddenly as the ducks arrived they left, while the frenzy of feeding fish took another 1/2 hour to get back to normal.
My fly of choice during the frenzy, a pink scud, I figured that's what was in the weeds. Sever 20 inch + trout were caught in an hour.
So my answer is NO!

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:13

From Philadelphia PA
The crash and splash do send them swimming. It only lasts for a short time, then they will be back to normal.
However, Bass and Muskies do put ducklings down.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 9:10
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

Nice little wood ducks or mallards, not really. You have resident mergansers, then yeah, if those are the only "ducks" around along with heron, those fish get bird shy.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 2:13

From Johnstown, PA
Hmmmm.......Do ducks put down fish? Not face to face but they have been known to dis them behind their backs.and gossip about them when they 'aint around....hope this helps......GOOD LUCK!!!

Posted on: 2013/8/9 18:42

This morning at the hatchery on the Little Lehigh, there were a few ducks in a couple of the raceways. So I bought a bag of fish food and lobbed it underhand so it rained down on the ducks. The ducks were eating it. The trout didn't mind the ducks at all. They were even ramming the ducks trying to get the pellets. The fish were aggressive enough that the ducks stayed on the outside edge of the ball of trout. So, at least for stocked fish, ducks don't bother them a bit.

Posted on: 2013/8/11 17:46

From Philadelphia PA
DUH....That's at a hatchery - - they got no place to swim....And of course the trout are very hungry.... If you got fed as often as they do, you'd be ramming for food just as much.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 11:55
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Dauphin PA
Be it duck, merganzer or boat, they only spook for a minute. While rowing / floating in a pontoon, my buddy has yelle"this look ok?", chucked his rig at me....missed my boat and caught fish from under my pontoon on several occasions. It's now become a game to try and hook fish right next to the other guys boat.

If it's a big brown that reluctantly came out of hiding to feed early and 10 geese land right on him, he very well may be done until after dark but I don't think it really bothers a majority of the trouts.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 13:38

From Lansdale
Phiend, PLEASE Change the avatar.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 15:07

From Dauphin PA
+1 LMAO.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 16:01

From Philadelphia PA
Or be banned from the forum!!

Posted on: 2013/8/13 16:37

From Gettysburg
Phiend,
We recommend that you change your avatar. Technically, it is in compliance with site policy, but is distracting to our readership and makes reading the forum difficult. There are a couple other posters with this sort of flashing, irritating avatar. Please consider changing them.
Thanks,
Dave W

Posted on: 2013/8/13 18:58

From Johnstown, PA
Very diplomatic Dave.....he was blinding me with science......good name for a song.........Gary Neumann for thirty Wink.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 14:53

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com