DHALO: what exactly does it mean?

Six-Gun

Six-Gun

"Delayed Harvest Artificial Lure Only" - ok, I see the definition, but what are the implications and limits of fishing waters designat3ed as such. I see these streams listed on my county maps, but have no clue what I can and can't do on them.

Thanks for any info.

Open to fishing year-round (no closed season).
Fishing is permitted on a 24-hour basis.
Minimum size – 9 inches, caught on, or in possession on, the waters under these regulations from one hour before sunrise on June 15 to one hour after sunset on Labor Day.
The daily creel limit is three combined species from one hour before sunrise on June 15 to one hour after sunset on Labor Day, caught on or in possession on the waters under these regulations. From the day after Labor Day until one hour before sunrise on June 15, the daily creel limit is zero.
Fishing may be done with artificial lures only constructed of metal, plastic, rubber or wood, or with flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials. All such lures may be used with spinning or fly fishing gear.
The use or possession of any natural bait, baitfish, fishbait, bait paste and similar substances, fish eggs (natural or molded) or any other edible substance is prohibited.
Taking baitfish or fishbait is prohibited.
An angler in a boat may possess bait and fish caught in compliance with the seasons, sizes and creel limits in effect for a water from which it was taken, provided that the boat angler floats through the Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures Only area without stopping or engaging in the act of fishing or the boat angler puts in or takes out his boat at an access point within the Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures Only area.

Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up. Seems like a pretty good deal!

A good and thorough answer from LA above.

Most streams in PA with the DHALO regulation are stocked with trout (this regulation only applies to trout fisheries). The streams with this description usually have only a section of the stream under this rule, typically a mile or two. Also, the waters with this rule often get warm temps by June (not all of them) and the harvest rule is designed to encourage anglers to keep some of the fish once summer arrives.

Yeah, they are popular, stocked, and they get too warm in summer.

So C&R ALO in the early season to keep them from being fished out quickly. After June 15, you can begin to keep them, as they'll be dying soon anyway.

FISH HERE!

Back