Caught my first one on my own tie!

Murph

Murph

I haven't been confident enough in my ties to fish them really hard. Tonight I decided I was going to use my own flies no matter what the outcome was. I ended up catching 14. I honestly can't believe what just happened. I got 5 on my parachute sulphurs and 9 on the only sulphur spinner I've tied.

Here's a pic of him. He's a dink, but he's my dink. He completely made my night and assured me that I'm doing this right.

It sounds like the jury decided a job well done. Congratulations!

Congrats! Keep tying, and fishing what you've tied. You'll eventually come to the where you have more confidence in flies you've tied yourself than in store-bought ones.

Awesome job, and that definitely isn't a dink!

Thats good work Murph! Dinks or not, you will remeber moments like then. Apparentl your ties are worthy. Nice job.

BrookieChaser wrote:
It sounds like the jury decided a job well done. Congratulations!
^^Yep^^

Murph wrote:
...I'm doing this right.

I remember when you were "just" a newbie. Sniff, sniff. :cry:

Great picture, first's are always great. Keep going. :-D

"Dink" is a relative term.

I also agree, not a dink!! The one in your profile pic is a dink! Nice work!

That's a dink?? do you call alligators lizards where you come from?

Nice job! I remember the first one I caught on my own tie. it was a dink on a black and silver BH zebra midge.

Murph,

Great Job! Congrats!

Congrats on your catches. That feeling of catching a trout on something you tied can't be beat. Feel fortunate that you got to experience it 14 times in a row!

Nothing beats catching fish on your own ties. Congratulations! The fish have agreed with your choices of hook, size, color, materials, profile, pattern and (drum roll.........) presentation. That's a lot of consensus from the only experts which matter, our quarry.

I would echo what others have said - keep track of your firsts, even if it is here on this forum in your posts. I remember all of my firsts, and they can get out of hand, but fun.

My first trout on a fly I tied was absolutely a dink - a 5" brown on a bead had flashback pheasant tail. When I look back at some of the flies I tied when I first started, I kind of chuckle. They are now bluegill/warmwater flies.

You will notice improvement almost immediately, as long as you keep tying and fishing. And most importantly, pay attention to what you read on this forum and do not be afraid to ask questions. There are a LOT of guys on here that have a lot of EXCELLENT information to share, and they are willing to do so. With regard to tying, technique, and all things fly fishing related.

Awesome Job!

Back