Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Casting Issue - Unintentional J-shape/belly in line

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
It might be tough to do at long distances, but I've learned to cast over my left shoulder (being right handed). This allows your mistake to be made in the other direction (fly leads the leader) and thus your "problem" is fixed. You're basically casting backwards. Practice it and it can be VERY useful.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 17:57

From down the block from the Letort.
you can combat the J by throwing more line than you need, but with an open, unenergized loop for the finish. Your J shape could be coming from too abrupt of a stop where the the excess energy is causing the tail of the leader to snap under and tuck.

The 'tuck' cast in the vertical plane is essentially the same effect, but you're seeing it as a J since the plane of your cast is off kilter. If you want that sweet reverse J to let the fly dilly dally in some slack eddy as your line comes racing down across the faster currents, you need more line in the air to out reach past your target, but stop it softly to kill it/open up the loop, much like a puddle cast when in the vertical plane. Trying for a target that's on the fringe of your comfortable range is probably what's introduced this 'glitch.'

Or go vertical and work on the wrist twitch finish thru the pinky and ring fingers to lay curves left or right....

This is something I deal with often with my mediocre casting skillz....you see that rise, try to reach for it and hook the cast in the exact opposite direction of what was intended. Once I've really put that fish down with the initially bungled presentations I'll usually throw an extra dozen or so casts at that spot until I've figured out how to get the cast I intended before moving on, and sometimes, surprisingly, you didn't actually put that fish down and he sips that fly on the 20th cast....practice, practice, practice.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 20:27

From Chester County
Yup, the line goes where the tip goes. My guess is you're not casting in the same plane with your back & forward cast. Whether you cast straight up or sidearm makes no difference. Try to practice casting where the tip can follow a straight line, like next to a roofline of a building. If you stroke is in a straight line forward and back, the your line and leader will lay out straight.

Shorten your leader to assure that it tuns over correctly and try the above. Good luck.

Posted on: 2011/5/20 7:20

Quote:
Isn't 3/4 sidearm pretty normal, especially during longer casts, and not normally a problematic stroke?

Changing your leader / tippet formula might help. You want to decrease the amount of momentum transfered from the fly line to the fly, which you should be able to accomplish by some combination of lengthening the light tippet section or shortening the stiff butt section. The stiffer the tippet material, the more momentum transfer you'll get. You'll just have to tinker with it until you find a balance. You might just add an extra 2 ft of light tippet to the end and see if that helps?

Of course, you could also fix it by changing your casting stroke, which is the more reliable solution. You'll always tend to get a "J" if your rod tilts out of the vertical plane.

Posted on: 2011/5/24 10:09

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

tomitrout wrote:
you can combat the J by throwing more line than you need, but with an open, unenergized loop for the finish. Your J shape could be coming from too abrupt of a stop where the the excess energy is causing the tail of the leader to snap under and tuck.

This is good advice. I was on the stream this weekend working on this very problem, and it was exactly as tomitrout described. I was stopping the cast abruptly. I am normally a side arm caster, but the combination of overhead and allowing a little more line at the end of the cast corrected my problem. I was also using a hand tied knotted leader, which seemed to turn over a little better for me. I usually use one piece tapered leaders.

Steve

Posted on: 2011/5/24 10:40

From Philadelphia, Pa
Are you breaking your wrist? This happend to me alot when i would bend my wrist ever so slightly.

Posted on: 2011/5/27 1:07

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com