Best way to fish multiple nymph setups

kyle1248

kyle1248

Guys I am pretty new to fly fishing. Was just wondering which was is better to tie a dropper when fishing two nymphs, tying off the bend in the hooks or tying off the eye in the hook. I have had some small success with tying the second nymph off the eye of the hook but was wondering what you preferred. Thanks!

I always get it tangled up when I fish it off the eye...but I can't say I remember catching any fish on the first fly with the second tied off the bend of the hook...maybe 1. I am not sure

kyle1248 wrote:
Guys I am pretty new to fly fishing. Was just wondering which was is better to tie a dropper when fishing two nymphs, tying off the bend in the hooks or tying off the eye in the hook. I have had some small success with tying the second nymph off the eye of the hook but was wondering what you preferred. Thanks!

Either way is fine, from the eye or bend. Many times I tie a dropper rig (Czech Style) to fish 2 or more nymphs. I believe they drift more naturally.

Here are some common multi fly rigs:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/nymph.htm

I wouldn't mind fishing a dropper rig, but a standard leader is just too versatile to fish anything else. My universal nymphing leader is as follows

leader-tippet-shot(if necessary)-weighted or unweighted fly-tippet to bend-unweighted fly(usually a wet or emerger)

NativeBrookie11 wrote:
I always get it tangled up when I fish it off the eye...but I can't say I remember catching any fish on the first fly with the second tied off the bend of the hook...maybe 1. I am not sure

I used to feel the same way about catching fish off the first fly I think it's a confidence thing. At first you'll notice one on the front hook every once in a while. It will become more common as time goes on.

Trying lengthening or shortening the tippet to the second fly. Or even adjusting the tippet to the first fly.

Little tweeks like these have really improved my hook up rate.

The second peice of tippet can often push the fly out of the mouth.

However, fish are excitable and sometimes they see the first fly get all rialed up then see a second offering and pounce.

afish,
that's a pretty cool site you linked...pics of flies, the naturals, tying instructions, easy to order materials specific for flies, and a whole lot of other info.
Thanks,
John

I fished a double nymph setup yesterday. My setup was fly line to around 9 feet of 5x tippet, indicator, single split shot, beadhead nymph (size 14 and 16) then size 18-20 zebra midges or small glow bugs off the eye of the nymph. I ended up catching 9 fish on this setup and only got seriously tangled and had to retie once maybe twice. I caught fish on both the top and bottom fly with them bottom taking 6 fish and the top fly taking 3 fish.

Cool, I too often nymph with straight tippet, though I'll often used 2x or 3x, then a bit of 4x and 5x on the business end. The thin leaders sink so much better, and when throwin weight, you rarely need a "taper"

As far as 2 nymphs, when I do it, I almost exclusively go with a dropper rig.

Look at Afish Czech knots and line from his attachment. Taper each section down in size. Put a wulff or Humpy at the top as an indicator, Try a smaller nymph like a pheasant tail or zebra midge size 18-20 then at the bottom use a weighted or beaded prince.

Think top fly indicator..maybe fish
2nd fly teaser chasing ..attention grabber
Bottom fly bouncing across the bottom.

I catch most of my fish on the middle fly.

You'll need each section to be at least from your chin to the end of your arm before tying them on. When all is done the flies are between 16-18 inches apart. Closer results in a rats nest beyond all imagination.

Back