Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Best technique to use for Wooly Buggers?

From SEPA
Buggers work every where. Something about them just makes fish chase them. In my experience, you get a few extra tries when fishing with them over the same fish. For some reason, I feel that when the fish is even aware of your presence, they still have to chase your bugger. My most productive method is casting up and across and as it heads down stream keep mending an stripping back. Also, the across and swing down stream method works awesome too. Rather than stripping it back at the end of the swing, let it hang stationary in current and give it a twitch of the rod occasionally. Sometimes I'll let it hang like this, giving a few twitches every now and then for up to a couple minutes and the fish hit it hard. People will tell you that size 6-10 is appropriate for most pa streams, but my favorite is a size 4 black or olive cone head bugger. It will look big when you tie it on but the small fish still hit it and so do the monsters that ingnore everything else.

Posted on: 2012/10/25 20:05

From Philly
Got my first fish on a WB today! I'm used to fishing dry flies so I found casting the WB VERY difficult at first. I tried fishing it straight across let it drift down stream and stripped it back. The fish I landed was on the strip. I had another fish on for a while after letting it sit in the current and twitching as described above, but lost it. I'm definitely going to start using them more.

Posted on: 2012/11/18 21:30

From Philly
This is sort of related, not so much to actual wooly bugger technique, but helpful for learning how to cast them. As I said in my previous post I usually fish dry flies, so I had no idea how to cast a fly with any weight. Looking back I'm surprised I didn't hook the back of my neck.

I realize that this is slightly off topic, but I'm new to WBs too and I thought it might be useful to someone else that's just starting to try them.

Casting Heavy Flies

Posted on: 2012/11/19 20:34

Edited by jbomb on 2012/11/19 21:11:27

From LV
I will usually fish buggers during the cold weather months, unless there are bugs hatching. There are many ways to answer your question, but I'll try. First I take a different approach to limestone streams then I on freestone streams. However that doesn't always hold true.
So on a limestone stream, if the water is cold, under 40 I'll dead drift the fly and just twitch it occasionally. If the temp is over forty I use the active, strip the bugger approach.
On freestone streams I almost always strip the fly back to me after an upstream cast. When the fish are slow reacting then I'll change up what I'm doing.
During warm weather months I still use different approaches, but I use dry flies and nymphs, unless it's raining. Then I'll use buggers. I know what flies hatch when and I match the hatch. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 21:40

From Germansville
I fished the Pohopoco and landed 4 nice 12"-14" brookies all on smaller black, olive and white Wooly Buggers, dead drift with a twitch at end of swing. Thanks for all the info.

Posted on: 2012/11/21 11:33

From SEPA
Another tip I should offer, is that you generally find out pretty quickly if fish will be taking buggers or not. If you don't have any follows or takes from likely spots then I would switch patterns. On the other hand, if you get strikes or follows right away, dial in the right color and size bugger and fish it untill you run out of buggers. My best fish of the year all came from large buggers on days when I had strikes and follows with in 10 minutes of fishing.

Posted on: 2012/11/22 11:52

From Landenberg PA
Do you guys use a small split shot when dead drifting or any adjustment in technique with a bead head?

Posted on: 2012/11/25 19:17

From SEPA
I use shot with unweighted buggers most of the time. For a bead or conehead bugger, I'll only add shot if Im trying to get it way down in deeper pools.

Posted on: 2012/11/28 8:13

From Red Lion
The weight of the fly, or depth of presentation, is probably the most important factor. I like mine on the bottom no matter what.
I also only use a two or a four size. Smaller trout still hit it. I wrap a piece of match stick lead around the hook shank prior to tying to make the fly sink FAST.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 15:22

From Lambertville
Compared to the wooly bugger, is using a wooly worm worthwhile?

Bugger
Resized Image

Worm
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/1/3 15:38

From So MD/Misplaced Pittsburgher
I hate the Wooly Bugger. Mostly because everyone else catches fish on them and I never do. Boo Hoo:)

Posted on: 2013/1/6 19:02

From Philly
Got my first fish of the year on an olive bugger stipping on the swing ...

Posted on: 2013/1/6 23:27

From Johnstown, PA
What works best for me is a split shot or three , whatever amount you need to tick the bottom , an upstream cast allowing it to sink and slowly raising the rod tip as it drifts back towards you aand then a mend with a little extra jerk and it seems that is when they take. Works for me. The shot should be up close to the fly , no more than about three inches.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 9:02

From Couldn't Care Less
Good thread and I am going to start using buggers a lil more often. This weekend I used them for the majority of my fishing. Couple of questions ..

1) When casting across, tighten/swing, and strip … do you want your bugger to be on the floor or in the middle? What do you guys prefer?

2) When it swings and ends directly downstream from you and you strip … doesn’t the just the sight of you (or me) going to spook the fish even if you are fairly still and quiet below the H2O?

I also had a lil difficult time adjusting to a heavier fly then I am accustomed too

Posted on: 2013/1/15 11:00

From Clearfield
Try a single or double haul depending on the distance you are casting. Wooly Buggers are killer in the winter.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 11:08

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com