Best Forum Ever

AKguy

AKguy

I would just like to say thanks to everyone that is giving advice to help other fly fishers out. I moved from AK and have only fly fished up there and you would never find this kind of help from other fly fishers in AK. Fly fishing up there is a different ball game than here. I knew what I was doing on my local river and now I have not a clue. All the advice I have found on this forum has been awesome. I'm a beginner again. Its kind of cool. I fished the yough and Laurel hill creek today and yesterday and caught nothing but it was still fun. Hopefully with all the tips I have found on this site I will have better luck next time. Thanks again

Welcome aboard! We have a lot of members in Western PA. I'm sure some will be willing and able to point you towards some decent fishing out there. Ask away!

Welcome AK. No doubt, there's lots of good info on this site. I must say, that's a heckuva fish in your avatar - might be awhile before you get one around here that size. :)

Stop it, you are embarrassing the moderators. :-D

Welcome.

Not only do you have a lot of fellow members out that way, you have a lot of us nutcases like me that are game to driving out there to fish and wander around :p Welcome to the site!

If you need any local advice or want to try to meet up on a local stream, send me a PM. There are a few hatches on some of these local waters-- Green Drakes even. But by hatch standards they're all pretty weak and unpredictable.

AK,
As Jack pointed out, hatches exist in decent to good numbers in western PA but are not as heavy as other areas of the state. As you become more familiar with the trout fishing available here in PA, you'll come to note pretty quickly, if you haven't already, that the best fishing is centered in the middle third of the state - generally following the Appalachian region. Also, don't overlook western MD. This is close to your neck of the woods and has excellent trout fishing. I'm less familiar with the opportunities in WV but your new home state has some underrated trout fishing. Anyway, a lot of our forum members here on PAFF, like Jack, live in western or southwestern PA and really know waters like the Yough very well.

Thanks guys

I have a lot to learn. I never really followed hatches in AK. I would use a HR or PT early season and after that it was all flesh flies and egg patterns all the way from June to Feb the next year. I'm going to try and focus my efforts in the Ohiopyle State Park area because it is only an hours drive from my house. Everything in WV is so far away.

Fishidoit
That bow in the picture unfortunately is not mine. My dad caught that hog in Aug of 07. It was a once in a lifetime fish. 36" It took three of use taking turns for 45minutes to get the thing to swim off on its own.

Jack
Thanks for the offer. I will PM you when this flooding is over. Having someone tell me all the things I'm doing wrong would be great

I don't offer a lot of advice but I would share all my observations. I am a hack. I know where to fish, but as for any instruction, you'll need to find someone else. :cool:

AK guy: Welcome to the lower 48. I left Alaska 7 years ago and I sure miss it. You might still get some use out of your egg patterns, but not so much for the flesh flies and the 7+ wt. rod you likely have.

Fishing in PA is tough, but it'll make you good. Pennsylvanians have a reputation for working for their fish. I've run into a number of Pennsylvania trout fishermen in Alaska and Colorado and they can usually match the locals.

Morgantown is a pretty cool town. You might get into some good smallmouth fishing down there.

You should come up to the Jamboree in May. You'll find a good bunch of guys who are generous with info and flies.

The flesh flies are killer in the salmon river.

amen to that, this place and its members are a godsend!

may I ask what are flesh flies?

They are suposed to mimic the flesh comming off dead and decaying salmon.

They are basically bunny leeches. Like GG said, they are supposed to represent decaying chunks of flesh. The salmon river is full of rotten meat in the fall, and the steel and browns are fat with it.

I wouldn't put a 7 wt. or flesh files away.A trip to the Ontario Tribs will be a good spot for them.imo Or Cattaragus Creek .

If I had any interest in trib fishing right now, they are probably what I'd use. That, and streamers. The dropbacks are going to have the feed bag on.

I just can't get excited about steelhead after the deep freeze lifts. It's hatch time.

Afish and FI are doing a great job here. This forum really has been a big hit in my eyes. Great job!

Everything you wanted to know about 'flesh flies', but was afraid to ask! :)

http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/strategies/intheflesh.html

Back