Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Beginning Streamer Questions

Visual aspect is rarely mentioned(typically associated with surface flies), but i agree with the above. Hands down, I fish streamers for the tactile appreciation of fly fishing. One of my favorite aspects of FFing is how close it puts you to the fish. Conventional gear disconnects you from the raw aspects of fishing. When you are stripping streamers and a fish hammers the fly, that taut feeling/line getting ripped from your fingers is just awesome. Gotta say I like to fish streamers because of the constant action too.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 17:50

From Lehigh Valley
I agree that buggers can be tied to meet most of your needs for trout. White, olive (stocked bows love this color for some reason), brown and black are most common. A bugger will represent many things from bait fish to crayfish.
I use clousers a lot but haven't so much for trout. I am going to tie up an array of clousers for trout at some point, just haven't gotten around to it.
My favorite non-weighted fly is a Black Nose Dace. This has been effective when buggers and other streamer aren't. Also the lack of weight can help with fish that can be spooky and/or in clear/low water.

Some general comments....
-Weighted flies will sink (duh) but the type of weight can matter as well ie lead wraps (like many buggers have) will sink level, weight toward the hook eye like a cone head give the fly more of a jig action.
-Fishing low light is always a good idea. Streamers in the fall and spring are also effective.
-I like to keep it moving, it doesn't seem to make sense to work the same area repeatedly. If you make a good cast to a likely spot and no takes, then move on. If the likely "spots" aren't apparent to you, then move even faster until you figure out where the fish are.
-Trout kinda suck as bait fisherman sometimes, so expect misses, short strikes and poor hook ups. Of course some trout while absolutely inhale, but in general they aren't as good at this as say bass.
-if you really want to improve your streamer skills, fish the salt. Its like fishing streamers on steriods. Its also a good way to tune up your casting. Nothing get my double haul going more than looking out into the vast ocean wishing I could cast to the UK.
-Streamer fishing can compliment your other aspects of your "arsenal". Many times I've fished upstream with dries, then switch to a streamer when heading back down stream.
-the strip set instead of lifting the rod tip can be very helpful. For one it keeps the flies in front of the fish if they miss (sometimes they will strike again) and also keeps your fly outta trees etc

Posted on: 2012/9/12 11:00

How heavy a tippet material do you streamer fishermen use?

Because trout slam streamers hard, often on a tight line, you need heavier tippet at the end of your leader then when dry fly or nymph fishing, or you'll get a lot of breakoffs.

But HOW heavy? What is too light, just right, and overkill?

Posted on: 2012/9/14 9:22

From Chester County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
How heavy a tippet material do you streamer fishermen use?

Because trout slam streamers hard, often on a tight line, you need heavier tippet at the end of your leader then when dry fly or nymph fishing, or you'll get a lot of breakoffs.

But HOW heavy? What is too light, just right, and overkill?

3x is minimum for me, which is 8 lb test +/-, depending on the brand. 2x (12lb +/-) is not overkill for big trout in big rivers. 1x may be carrying it a little too far, but I wouldn't argue with anyone using it.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 9:39

From South Lebanon Township, PA
For Trout I usually use 3x...the brand I use is about 8lb test at 3x I think. For Bass and WW I use 10lb mono.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 9:39

From Lehigh Valley
I've been using generic 8lb. mono for bassin' and carpin'. I tried some type of braid but didn't like it... Would anyone recommend fluoro instead of mono?

Posted on: 2012/9/14 12:49

From Lancaster County
Quote:

Kabutt wrote:
Bugger-type streamers just seem to do a great job of imitating fish food. One can alter color combinations and fishing techniques to mimic specific food items. Black bugger - it's a sculpin, white bugger - generic minnow, natural/tan bugger - crayfish, etc...

You nailed it in your first sentence; I think its even simpler than having a color match natural prey for why buggers work - no matter what color, to a trout, its a sizeable food-looking thing. We anglers probably give too much credence to the color mattering. Maybe Mr. Trout thinks for a half instant "Why is a green crayfish in my stream, when most of the other [natural] ones I eat are brown?", but they'll hit the bugger nonetheless. About half the fish I caught with a fly rod this year were caught on a bugger, mostly olive colored.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 22:39

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Kabutt wrote:
I've been using generic 8lb. mono for bassin' and carpin'. I tried some type of braid but didn't like it... Would anyone recommend fluoro instead of mono?

I prefer flouro, but its not always necessary.
First advantage is more abrasive than mono so will hold up better against rocks, teeth, etc
Fluoro also reflects light similar to water so it is less visible.

Posted on: 2012/9/17 13:10

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
Quote:

Kabutt wrote:
Bugger-type streamers just seem to do a great job of imitating fish food. One can alter color combinations and fishing techniques to mimic specific food items. Black bugger - it's a sculpin, white bugger - generic minnow, natural/tan bugger - crayfish, etc...

You nailed it in your first sentence; I think its even simpler than having a color match natural prey for why buggers work - no matter what color, to a trout, its a sizeable food-looking thing. We anglers probably give too much credence to the color mattering. Maybe Mr. Trout thinks for a half instant "Why is a green crayfish in my stream, when most of the other [natural] ones I eat are brown?", but they'll hit the bugger nonetheless. About half the fish I caught with a fly rod this year were caught on a bugger, mostly olive colored.

Trout are optimal foragers, and their "judgment" can be affected by something big and flashy that will allow them to take in a lot of calories. It's the same reason big fish will risk a huge splashy rise to eat a cicada and not worry too much about the tricos.

I agree with you that we tend to over analyze - with streamers in particular, it's the action and the flash that entice the trout to strike, not the imitation of something natural - they're just wired for it. Kind of like why your cat will chase a feather or a string when you dangle it in front of him - he's just wired that way.

Speaking of over analyzing - when I first joined this board a few years ago, there was a long detailed thread about whether or not trout are turned off by the incorrect numbers of tails on a spinner fly. Finally someone chimed in and said "well, the trout don't seem to mind that huge steel hook coming out from between the tails!"

Posted on: 2012/9/18 9:21

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

PhilC wrote:
I prefer flouro, but its not always necessary.
First advantage is more than mono so will hold up better against rocks, teeth, etc
Fluoro also reflects light similar to water so it is less visible.

Cool. I dig the better abrasion resistance.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 21:57

From Lehigh Valley
Regardless of why streamers catch fish so well, I'm glad I've started using them more. This forum got me into WW fishing for bass, which got me using streamers, which I will now go to much more frequently when trout fishing. I caught many 'bows on the Leh!gh on Monday swinging an olive bugger, then a black Murdich. They were even chasing it... Had a blast.

Posted on: 2012/9/18 22:03

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com