Beginner for Bass Advice

oakesna

oakesna

Good morning! I have been involved in fly fishing for a few years now, but my main targets have been trout. I have a very light weight smaller rod for fishing some of the small streams and runs where I fish and I have a 5 weight very old rod that is pretty stiff for my liking. I'm looking into getting a new rod that I can use for bass but also has some flexibility and use for fishing for trout too. Does anybody have any suggestions as to a weight/length rod that might fit my needs? Money is tight after just graduating college, so unfortunately I can't have a rod for every situation right now, so a good one-size fits all would be awesome if such a rod exists. Thanks!

That older, stiff 5 weight could possibly work very well for Bass. I'd string up some decent sized Buggers or Clousers and give it a try before making a purchase if times are tight.

That being said, if you're looking at new, modern rods I think a 9'0 6wt would be the best all around compromise for what you're looking for...Bass and larger Trout streams...since you have the small stream rod covered already.

There tends to be a common line of reasoning that a 9'0 5wt in the best all-around setup for PA. While it’s all a matter of personal preference, I find that when comparing a 5wt to a 6wt, the 5wt is clearly more efficient than the 6wt with smaller flies, and the 6 wt clearly more efficient with larger flies. However I feel like the 6wt is comparatively better with smaller flies than the 5wt is with larger flies…if that makes sense. I feel like you give up less overall with the 6wt in terms of versatility because of that. My 9’0 6wt is my primary WW rod, but it also sees Trout duty on bigger streams several times per year.

Thanks for the reply. That absolutely makes sense. I've only had the old rod out once for smallmouth here in Lancaster and the smallmouth I caught were not much bigger than a panfish so I'm hoping to get a better sample this weekend as to what the rod can do. It feels great casting big streamers; however, when it comes to casting smaller flies it isn't the greatest feel it the world. It feels cumbersome to me.

Good advice from Swattie. I'd suggest going to a 9' for a 7WT (rather than a 6wt). I use a 7WT with a small fighting butt for most of my bass fishing and it doubles as a good streamer rod for trout.

I would rather throw bass flies with a 7 wt than a 6 wt, for the same reasons swattie listed. It's easier to cast small flies on a larger rod than it is to cast big flies on a smaller rod.

I use an 8 wt myself. Mostly because I have one and it works fine even if it is a bit of overkill.

I have one of these in 5/6 wt and I really like it a lot. I've never tried the 7/8 but for the price it's hard to go wrong.

http://www.redsgear.com/eagle-claw-fly-combo-8-6-5-6wt-2pc-5671.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp14077020&sc_intid=101987&gclid=CKGNgpPJ7M4CFQxahgodH9MBag

If you go that route try to find one with the wood real seat instead of plastic. Throw an appropriately sized Medalist reel it, some decent line and you can put together a pretty nice outfit for around $100.

edit: apparently that isn't an Eagle Claw Featherlight which is what I meant to post. Sorry. You should be able to find them on Google though. I found the one I have in a clearance rack at Walmart for like $13.

You mention that your 5wt seems stiff. If you're on a tight budget, using a 6wt line on your 5wt rod may be the solution for you. You might like how that rod feels overlined.

I would work with what you have for now and see how that works for a few reasons. If you are on a budget, you don’t want to get something you are stuck with. I started out fishing for trout about two years ago. I started out cheap because I break rods often so I didn’t want to buy something nice only to see the tip go the way of my other rods. I haven’t found a way to break my salt water rods yet! Also, I started out fishing for trout but love smallie fishing much more. That said I found ways to do this on the cheap. Cabela’s has great sales so I picked up an 8 weight and found a SA mastery steelhead line on sale. I fish for trout, smallies and even fished it in the surf. I like the 8 because it can go just about anywhere. It is a little big on smaller streams though. You can also pick up stuff on the cheap if you look for used equipment or look for sales.

So what have I learned? If I were to do it all over, I would buy the lower end of a quality rod maker like Orvis or Echo. The cheaper rods are ok. However, they come with only a one year warrantee. By the time you break a rod and replace it or upgrade it, you will spend a little more each time on the upgrade and might come close to spending what you would for a better rod with a long warrantee. Some deals are hard to pass up though. I have the 3 forks combo for under $100. I absolutely kill this rod. It also held up to a full week at the surf. If I don’t accidently slam the tip in the door, I should have a nice backup rod when I buy a new one soon. I have caught countless numbers of fish with this rod and I don’t have to worry about being easy on it. It allowed me to figure out what type of fishing I want to do going forward.

I hope this helps.

I have a three forks outfit from Cabelas. Or I had an outfit. The reel doesn't exist anymore. It just self destructed one day while I was stripping line out. I do like the rod though, especially for the price. I had another Cabelas outfit and the rod and reel both are dead now. My point is, trying to save money by buying Cabelas could end up costing twice as much when you replace it. I know I'm not the only one who has had issues with their rods and reels.

Thanks for the replies everybody. I think what I am going to try at this point is to overline it and see if that works better for me. I was never the kind of person to care about having a particular brand, as long as it did the job for me and did it well. I will give some new line a shot and see how it works. Thanks!

the answer may also depend on where you are fishing/what size bass are you targeting ~ I do a good amount of smallie fishing on the Delaware River....and I can tell you that a 5 wt. isn't nearly enough for this river. Ability to throw more line is one issue - but the main thing in my opinion is ability to deal with bigger fish. A 16" smallie, which you can hook up with regularly in the D, would completely overmatch a 5wt. I fish a recon 6wt. with a fighting butt (as well as an 8wt.), and I've caught a few fish this summer that have given the 6 wt. rod all it could handle. Now if you're only going to be fishing smaller water with smaller fish, a 5 wt. (stiffer one) would probably be fine.

I would like to offer my 2-cents and agree with the above post from Pratt. After having fly fished the Susquehanna North Branch many years I have learned to appreciate my Scientific Anglers 8 wt. It wasn't very expensive and has served me well.

I fish a lot of dry flies and poppers, I know for a fact there have been times when I know I could've stuck a big smallie with the 8wt but for one reason or another I was using a 5/6 at the time and it didn't have enough backbone to set the hook.

Plus when you do hook a strong 15+ inch river smallie having the bigger rod will be a blessing. I've had large smallies bend the 8 wt. in half and it can basically leave you simply hanging on. I switched to the 8 wt. full time after trying to land a large smallie on a 5/6 wt. that was completely outmatched, I basically had to beach the poor thing.

I would fish a 6wt. Also a good streamer rod. I like to fish the smallest weight I can get away with. It all comes down to how strong you are as a caster! If you're a pretty good caster 6wt should be no problem at all.

But cabelas has a amazing warranty. They will return your rod and give you brand new one without asking a single question. I feel like that would be nice for a beginner.

Back