Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Beginner Gear Questions

From Chester County
thanks for the info pcray1231. I'm also married with children but own my own company so my schedule is flexible. Let me know if you want to go out sometime and I would be happy to meat up.

I'm a hands on, fast learner. I've done alot of reading but have always picked up how to do things very quickly when shown in a hands on setting.

I have bags and bags of fly boxes, dry, nympths, streamers, tippet, leaders, etc. I have multiple pairs of waders, fly vests, etc. so Im all set in the gear department. I even have boxes and boxes of fly tying supplies, hooks, feathers, fur, etc.

Just need to get some on the water training and I will be set.

Posted on: 3/25 15:38

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
docdom wrote:

Thanks. Stopped into Orvis Downingtown today and signed up for 101 and 201 classss. Also was told 15 year old fly line should be replaced due to advancements in line technology.

They also told me to bring in my Orvis rods and reels and they will check them out and put line on them.

docdom .. welcome to PAFF and good move signing up for the class. Stay up to the updates on the site as we have a bunch of beginner meetups which aren't just helpful to newbies but lots of fun.

Posted on: 3/25 17:41

From Chester County
Took my 3 Orvis reels into Orvis Downingtown today to have them looked at as there was some minor corrosion/rust underneath the spool. They just told me to remove the parts, soak overnight in CLP, scrub with toothbrush then wipe and put back together. Just took them apart, scrubbed them down and the small parts are soaking.

Also picked up a pair of Smith Optics Dover Evolve Chromapop sunglasses while in the store. Wow, love these sunglasses!!

Stagger_Lee, I would love to attend a newbie meet up. Can't wait for the next one. Checking the events section daily!

Posted on: 3/26 21:23

From Chester County
So I continued to use the 18+ year old fly line this season as suggested. I have been getting pretty frustrated with my casts not going nearly as far as I wanted, or thought they should be. What made me even more frustrated was seeing other fly fisherman on the water with their casts going much further and smoother.

I feel like my line wasn't shooting out and more often than not would come to hard stops when starting to shoot out through the guides. My line was kinky which is what was stopping the line from shooting out.

Stopped into Orvis Downingtown yesterday. Spoke to Dan about my issue, which he told me was my old line and took me outside to cast with my rod. Casting with the new Orvis Hydros WF 3D 4wt line was amazing!! Best money I ever spent. I now look like I know what I'm doing on the water. Went back out fishing after having the new line put on and the difference is night and day.

Not sure if the problem was the age of my line, or how much it was fished before I inherited it but the difference was night and day.

Just wanted to provide feedback to the thread.

Posted on: 4/11 13:21

Edited by afishinado on 2014/4/13 6:39:04

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com