Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Beginner: Questions and Gear Recommendations

From SE Pa
Get wading boots unless you like meniscus and ACL injuries. You will need to get them a size bigger to accomadate the stocking foot on the waders. What kind of boots to get is another one of those questions. I use cabelas featherlights with studded felt soles. I think I paid 59 bucks they are about 4 seasons old and holding up well. I don't wade fish as often as others, maybe 12 trips a year, which adds to their longevity.

Posted on: 12/9 7:52

From Chester County
Quote:

dinkman wrote:
You all have been a major help! Thanks again!

Sierra Trading post was an awesome suggestion. I’m probably going to end up getting a pair from there.

The tool kit suggested also seems affordable enough to grab even if I take it slow with tying. Though, I’m going to need something to do in the winter evenings anyway.

Thank gooodness I didn’t buy the neoprene waders I thought I might get in case I wanted to go winter fishing. That would have been pretty dumb.

I do have my first two trout on the fly (at the end of last May), but I’ll try to keep you posted on my progress!

One last question. Are actual wading boots all that necessary? Could I just pair stocking foot waders with an old pair of regular boots/shoos or is that not going to work?

Wading boots are made for wading in the water and having traction there, as well as being made of materials durable enough to hold up being immersed in water.

Further, wading boots are sized (larger) to accommodate the fairly heavy gauged neoprene booties used for stocking foot waders.

Your regular hiking boots or sneakers will be too small and not fit over these booties, therefore you'd have to buy larger shoes or boots.....might as well by the wading boots intended for this use.

Again like all other things recommended, no need to buy the most expensive boots. Find some that fit well on your feet as well as fit your budget.

Good luck.

Posted on: 12/9 8:01

From North east ,Maryland
I think getting a boot that fits great is #1. You will get better support, feet will have room and your feet will stay warmer. Most shops I go to have cut off booties to put on while trying on the boots. If you order online , call and talk to them about the boots, I do this with ll bean. Good luck.

Posted on: 12/9 8:14

From picture rocks pa 17762
I WAS A BEGINNER ONCE AND STILL A BEGINNER TODAY. AN OLD SAYING GOES. "ONCE A MAN TWICE A BABY". YOU START FROM THE BEGINNING. I STARTED TYING FLIES ABOUT 50 YRS. AGO IN 6TH GRADE. FATHER BOUGHT ME A NOLL FLY TYING KIT. OF COURSE IT WAS NOT FREE. HAD TO TAKE OUT GARBAGE, BURN PAPERS, FEED THE DOG. PROBABLY QUIT ALL THESE CHORES ONCE I GOT THE KIT BECAUSE ALL I CAN REMEMBER IS TYING FLIES. HAD NO WADERS, JUST THOSE GREEN BOOTS THAT CAME TO YOUR CALVES. USED A SPINNING ROD WITH A CLEAR TORPEDO BOBBER. CARRIED A STRING AS A STRINGER. [GET THE DRIFT]. SIMPLE YOUNG FISHERMAN. WHEN I WAS 18 GOT A CHEAP FLY ROD, REEL AND LINE AT A GARAGE SALE. PRACTICED OVER AND OVER IN BACK YARD. GOT BETTER PUT A USED TIRE AND TRIED TO GET FLY IN TIRE. GOT BETTER. PLACED A CUP IN YARD AND TRIED TO CAST FLY IN CUP. GOT BETTER. NOW I'M READY. WENT TO BLAIR'S BOUGHT A DOZEN FLIES FOR $6.50. NOW I'M MAD. NO MONEY FOR GAS. QUIT BUYING FLIES AND STARTED BIG TIME BACK WITH THAT NOLL KIT.
NOW AT 30. SUCCESSFUL FLY TYER, LEADER BUILDER, WADERS, JACKET, BOXES AND BOXES FLIES. TWEEZERS, PLIERS, YOU NAME FLY, I'LL TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT. LOOKED LIKE SOMEONE OUT OF A JAMES BOND MOVIE .COLLECTED BAMBOO RODS, LURES, ANY THING AND EVERYTHING. AT 40 SOMETHING CAME OVER ME AND I WONDERED, WHAT HAVE I BECOME. DO I REALLY NEED 50 BAMBOO POLES, THOUSANDS OF LURES, 100 BOOKS ON FLY TYING, 10 VESTS,
ETC. SOLD BAMBOO RODS TO COLLECTOR IN JAPAN, STARTED GIVING BOOKS AWAY TO YOUNG FLY TYERS. GOT RID OF ALL THAT I THOUGHT MADE ME HAPPY. [ALL THE STUFF REALLY DID NOT BRING HAPPINESS]. AND CONTINUED BACK TO BEGINNING. WHAT STARTED TO BOTHER ME WAS. IN THAT PART OF LIFE WHEN FISHING I WOULD NOTICE ANOTHER ANGLER CATCHING FISH AND ASK [WHAT ARE YOU USING, REPLY JUST A FLY] HMM I WONDERED WHAT KIND OF FLY. GET CLOSER AND USUALLY ANGLER WOULD SHOW ME. BUT VERY, VERY, SELDOM GIVE ME ONE. THOUGHT ' DON'T EVER WANT TO BE LIKE THAT GUY. LAST TO GO WAS MY WINSTON I LOST ON THE BITTEROOT IN MONTANA WHEN I ALMOST DROWNED. WAS GOING TO BUY A SAGE BUT INSTEAD WENT TO WALLMART AND BOUGHT A 29.00 CORTLAND. NOW I HAVE CAUGHT JUST AS MANY FISH ON THAT CORTLAND AS THE WINSTON. IF I LOSE OR BREAK IT, GOT ANOTHER 29.00 BUCKS. USUALLY IF I'M FISHING BY MY SELF. IT'S BOOTS, ROD, FLIES, LEADERS AND FLY DOPE. WITH A GANG IT'S VESTS. WHY VESTS WITH GANGS. CARRY A 1000 FLIES, 3 OR 4 BOTTLES FLY DOPE, 50 TO 100 LEADERS. IF I AM CATCHING FISH EVERYONE IN EYESIGHT GET'S SOME FLIES. IF I AM NOT CATCHING FISH, EVERYONE IN EYESIGHT GETS SOME LEADERS. MAYBE SOME OF YOU HAVE GOT FLYS OR LEADERS. MOST ASK WHATS YOUR NAME AND I REPLY, IT DOESN'T MATTER. ALSO, IF I AM CATCHING FISH AND YOU HEAR A WHISTLE AND SEE ME WAVE YOU DOWN. I GLADLY GIVE UP THE HOLE AND SHOW EXACTLY WHAT'S WORKING AND IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANY. GOOD I HAVE PLENTY FOR YOU. NOW, THIS IS WHAT HAPPINESS IS TRUELY ABOUT.

SO BACK TO BEGINNING. ONCE A MAN TWICE A BABY. HOW ABOUT ONCE A BEGINNER TWICE A BEGINNER. HOPE THIS GIVES A LITTLE HELP ON BEGINNERS, ALSO A LITTLE HELP ON STREAM BROTHERHOOD. MAXIMA12

Posted on: 12/12 10:20

From Pittsburgh
DM,

1. I started out on the cheap with some pro line hip waders. I then graduated to pro line boot waders. Both were inexpensive. The waders leaked after a year or two so i bought wader glue and that worked for a while. Then dick's liquidated it's waders and boots so i picked up some patagonia rio's for about 100 bucks on sale and some korkers on sale for about 100 bucks. There are sales out there if you shop around.

2. The cabelas fly tying kit is awesome . I am still using it. You can find lots of tying material at flee markets or on sale. Some craft material from years back is good stuff and likely not used by anyone else. Don't buy too much. I still have most material I bought. It goes a long way. be creative.

3. Not my neck of the woods.

4.Go barbless. if you buy barbed hooks, then smash down the barb. You will know why soon if you don't. I don't lose many due to the hooks. Keep the rod high with continuous tension and you shouldn't have a problem.

5. I bought an eagle claw black eagle 5 weight fly rod at walmart. I just threw my 8 weight reel and line on it and it casts further than my 8 weight rod. Now that's cheap. I also catch a lot of fish on it.

As you become more experienced, you will decide what you do and don't like and can then start to spend your money aimed at things you will do longer term. I am glad I waited because I found great deals and then bought rods, reels, lines and tying materials geared towards things I really like without wasting money. to start, spend you money wisely and explore as much as you can.

Posted on: 12/12 19:57

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>

Copyright 2019 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com