Bass and such

djs12354

djs12354

Now that I have the 17 ft boat and can stand up (comfortably) to cast - What length leader do you recommend for casting bass poppers and larger streamers?

I have a nine foot leader on a nine weight rod. I can get the line out decently, but seem to be struggling to turn the leader over.

I fish out of my toon on the Lehigh and find a leader in the 6ft range to be best. Others with more bass experience will chime in I am sure.

You don't need a long leader for bass, they're not leader shy.

6' is plenty.

I tie my own bass leaders and try to keep it real simple. Mine are generally about 7' long. I use 3' of 40 lb test Maxima, 2' of 20 lb test fluorocarbon and then about 2' of whatever size tippet seems right (generally about 2X for me). I use blood knots for the connections between sections. However, I have lately become a fan of the surgeons knot which is a very quick knot to tie and seems just as strong if not stronger than the blood knot.

I think the line you use is more important for turning over popers than the leader is. You need something with a powerful taper (short and heavy) to turn over the big wind resistent or heavy weaghted flies used to fish for bass. I've been using a 7wt lined with a Rio smallmouth line. I fish a 9' 2x leader. This rig punches out a size two popper or mouse pattern 50' with ease. If you want a shorter leader to compensate, I would use a 7' leader; 3' of 20 lb maxima ultragreen, 2' of 15 lb maxima ultragreen, and 2' of 2x tippet. You could take it down to 6' if you want, just take a foot off the butt end.

For poppers and sliders... shorter.

If you want to get deep (with a floating line) you want that 7 1/2"-9' range.

For me 6' for top water. I use clear maxima. It is very stiff I do 2' 30lb, 2' 20 lb, 2' 15lb. Sometimes If I am casting over lillies I just use 4' of 20 lb. the less knots the better for that.

GenCon

Thanks to all for the replies.

I'll see what line I have to try my hand at putting together a 5 to 6 foot leader and try it out this weekend.

Dave

Back