Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Bass Fly Fishing

From Luzerne County, PA
My daytime popper action in the Susquehanna North Branch was extremely slow the past 2 seasons. I had some amazing days on topwater poppers in seasons past, the topwater bite is sometimes difficult to figure out. Wooly Buggers and Streamers accounted for most of my daytime smallies.

After dark however all bets are off, that's when I've had the best action. Whatever displaces a lot of water will get attention, the river really comes alive at night.

I would say the best topwater action in my region is at least a good month away, probably more.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 15:32

From Philadelphia PA
What part of the Susquehanna has been posted off limits for Bass Fishing?

Posted on: 2013/5/8 12:17
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Chester County
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:
What part of the Susquehanna has been posted off limits for Bass Fishing?

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summaryad/z03regs_species.pdf

Posted on: 2013/5/9 6:49

From Bel Air, MD
Sometimes for smallies, the key to surface poppers is to pop it, then let it sit for a few seconds, then pop...sit...pop. I have found that I get a lot of strikes after the popper lands and I let it sit for a few seconds.

Posted on: 2013/5/16 23:21

From Philadelphia PA
BelAir, I;m slightly different in my approach - I like to keep the popper moving faster than the sunnies and bluegills can get to it and yet slow enough for the bass to nail it. I'm now looking forward to the end of June when I can target them legally.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 16:46
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Landenberg, PA
sliders on a sinking line (3 or 4) work best for me - they dive when you strip, rise when you pause.

a snap snap strip makes em pop too...

this is my favourite :

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/5/22 21:11

From Wrightsville
Bass in a farm pond or anywhere else are pretty easy. Forget about which rod or leader. I'm sure they're important, but they really don't matter.

The people on this site tend to make things much more complicated then they need to be.

Throw a generic fly, popper or piece bark on to the surface of the pond. (After having carefully crept to the edge and kept a few feet back)

Twitch. Let it sit. Twitch. Let it sit a little loooooooonger. Twitch. Then let it sit a little looooooooooonger.

Bass just can't stand it. They could care less about which rod you're holding or which fly you tie on.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 0:01

From Couldn't Care Less
Bucks county dudes ... how has the Bass fishung been in our neck of the woods?

Hit the Nesh for a few hrs twice this week and hooked a decent amt of blue gills, what I think was rock bass, etc .. but no SMB

Posted on: 2013/5/23 11:32

From Landenberg PA
Quote:

barrybarry wrote:
Bass in a farm pond or anywhere else are pretty easy. Forget about which rod or leader. I'm sure they're important, but they really don't matter.

The people on this site tend to make things much more complicated then they need to be.

Throw a generic fly, popper or piece bark on to the surface of the pond. (After having carefully crept to the edge and kept a few feet back)

Twitch. Let it sit. Twitch. Let it sit a little loooooooonger. Twitch. Then let it sit a little looooooooooonger.

Bass just can't stand it. They could care less about which rod you're holding or which fly you tie on.

I could agree with that....fly selection seems pretty genaric for flies...I just want a larger rig to get the bigger ones out there.

Seems like fun, what flies are pictured in your avatar?

Posted on: 2013/5/23 12:02

From Wrightsville
The fly in the avatar is a wiggle nymph. I tied a few large ones for Penns creek. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li-ruy ... feature=player_embedded#!

I think with a lot of Bass, you just need to make them mad. They can't seem to resist something floating over them and twitching. The more subtile the better.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 12:36

From Landenberg PA
Cool, thanks, I'll tie some huge ones for Bass when I get my vise!

That is a good mentality to get into: Piss em' the hell off. On researching bass a bit and cruising youtube, It is accepted thought. they are very "reactionary fish, they rarely pass up on opportunities.

I was trying an "S wiggle" with buggers for trout yesterday, kind of playing with my slack till I started to strip to get there attention first to trigger the reactionary strike. It worked out okay, and I can employ it for bass. Just need to take the slack out for the strike.

Posted on: 2013/5/23 19:10

From Philadelphia PA
Stagger_Lee:
I was up at Neshimany (Mills Rd) this last Saturday...Water was really stained....I found some slower moving water and sure enough got me a nice 15" SMB. No trout but did catch lots of sunnies and blue gills using homemade nymphs.
And on Monday I got my first Brown Trout using one of my homemade nymphs at Pennypack Park.

Posted on: 2013/5/28 11:04

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com