Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Backpacking fly fishing questions...

Quote:

RyanR wrote:
If you're just starting out, I don't think 5'-6' flyrods are the easiest to learn good casting with and besides they're more limited and specialized anyway. Like Troutbert said, I'd definitely stick with about a 7' flyrod in a 4weight. I have a 7', 4wt, 4-piece Wild Waters and I really like it. Very reasonably priced (I'm not an expensive rod type) and it performs well. I alo happen to have a one of the Cabela's 6-piece Stowaway models (8'5" 4wt) and I absolutely love it. Again great price and it absolutely casts great, has great "feel" to the rod, and packs down small. Based on my experience with both their previous 7pc and now the 6pc, I'd recommend giving it a try in a 7' or 7'5" model.

I recommend at least a 7 1/2 footer. In fact I use an 8 1/2 foot rod quite a bit on forested freestone streams in PA, on streams of about the size of Slate and Cedar and Young Womans Creek and anything larger. Those streams are large enough and open enough to fish easily with an 8 1/2 foot rod.

I use the 7 1/2 foot rod on streams smaller than those, i.e. streams that are about 15 foot wide or less.

An 8 foot, 4 weight might be really nice on the mountain streams. It's on my wish list.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 12:47

From SEPA
S'funny, I actually enjoy my 6'6" rod, but I do see the hindrances quickly vis-a-vis an 8' rod.

I'd actually considered a 5'6" rod instead of the 6'6", and I'm VERY glad I didn't. I've come to realize its not so much the whacking of branches that I see an issue with, resolved with rod length, as much as the unfurling backcast which is going to be an issue regardless of length.

Furthermore, a longer rod would probably reduce the need for backcasts in many circumstances, with easier roll casting, dapping and less false casts to get 'em out there.

On travel rods? I got little to say. I do know that the more pieces a rod has, the more annoying I find them. I can't imagine a 6 piece, or more, rod without alignment dots though.

I'd give a serious thought to the Bean rod up there. If for no other reason than the garuntee: You break it, you walk in and walk out with a new one. Can't beat that. Also, alignment dots!

Oh, and HA, if you need cash to buy that guy, I know someone who'll take a tenkara rod off your hands.... ;)

Posted on: 2010/7/14 12:48

From Montgomery County
I much prefer long rods. Actually, I tend to use a 7 or 7.5 ft rod on small streams close to my vehicle. The last thing I want to do is pack in a rod that doesn't have enough balls to fish a section of water. an 8+ ft rod is much more versatile and I'd suggest a 4 wt. There's a big jump in what a 4wt can do vs a 3wt. 3 weights can be fun, but they're just a toy IMO.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 13:06

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

gfen wrote:

Oh, and HA, if you need cash to buy that guy, I know someone who'll take a tenkara rod off your hands.... ;)

Don't hold your breath.....

One of the reasons I work two jobs is to have "mad money" to buy more toys. Eventually, I'll actually have time to enjoy them.

The 6wt travel rod is higher up on my list - because of the Tenkara rod. And the Tenkara rod doesn't count against the 40 rod rule.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 19:02

From Greensburg, PA
That short stuff is ok for Pa but don't take it hiking out west. Too much roll casting at distance with nothing but pine or cliff at your back.

Posted on: 2010/7/14 22:26

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com