Back on the water...fished Spring Creek this weekend.

M

mgh-pa

I've been an on again, off again poster on this site of the past few years. I was trying to get into the sport some over those few years, and I made it out on the water some, but not often. This year I hope to change that, but at the same time, I haven't progressed much in the sense that I originally hoped since I don't have the time on the water.

A few guys from work and I went up to Spring Creek this past Saturday and battled the rain for a morning session. All of these guys have more experience than me (quite a bit more in fact). One guy caught 5, another caught two, one caught a sucker, and I managed about a 12" brown. Most of the guys were fishing a 16 PT with an 18 BWO nymph trailing it. I was fishing with a single setup since I still need to enhance my casting skills, and landed mine on a 16 PT.

I have SO much more to learn about this sport. I saw the guys hooking up more than I was, and still can't figure out presentation in nymphing. I'm getting better at watching for line stops during the drift, but I can't ever seem to get weight placement and amount correct for the conditions. I would add some weight thinking the fly wasn't getting down enough, and then I would snag bottom on the next cast. My one buddy that went with me tied up a strike indicator the night before to add before the leader, and frankly, I never saw it, or used it on the water. Not really sure what I'm looking for there.

A great time was had for sure, but I'll end this with another question. We were fishing Orvis 5X leaders. I ended up clipping back to the mid section of the leader by the time the day was ending, and it seemed awfully thick for my 18s. In that situation, should I removed the leader all together and replace it, or just tie on a section of tippet?

Now, take this with a grain of salt - I am definitely new to this sport. However, from what I understand the purpose of tippet is to preserve your leader, among other things. In any event, as you start cutting into your leader - adjust it to proper length to allow for proper presentation as the day goes on. Or if money isn't an issue for you and you hate surgeons knots, just keep a bunch of leaders in your vest. Hope that helps!

Glad to see you here. I am much in the same boat as you. I don't have an answer...but I am certianly interested in hearing what advice others have to give. You will get lots of goods info here.

You could do either. I don't know how long your leader was when you started, let's say it was 9 foot, and if you chopped through half of that you will want to add at least 3 foot of tibbet to continue to fish that day. Your leader length is to help hide the floating fly line from the fish, putting some distance between the floating fly line and the fly itself. Adding tibbet would be a quick fix for that. When you get home I would replace it, tibbet is to help extend the life of the leader, so each time you replace a fly you aren't nipping away at your leader. I know that you probably know that, but.

Some random thoughts about tibbets, tibbet can be added say to adjust for conditions. Lets say you are fishing with a 5x leader and tibbet to be nymphing with pt or Hare's ear and you notice a midge hatch or you just want to go with a much smaller dry fly, you can add say 6x or 7x tibbet and "get away" with it. Also when nymphing especially on some deeper runs like on the Little j or Yellow Breeches you can add a florocarbon tibbet to your leader they sink faster and better than mono tibbets.

Back