Article on beginning fly fishing techniques

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

This is a good refresher for anyone, or someone just getting into the sport. Shows casting techniques, info on flies, and rigs etc.

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2011/07/13/trout-tactics/

Nice article. Thanks for sharing, ry.

Wow, I just learned that the Wooly Bugger was developed on Manada Creek right here in Dauphin. CRAZY!

Thanks for the link

Good article and I know the place in the first picture.

Yeah me too. I hate that place ;-)

Great article though. Kind of a reminder for me as I've developed some mighty bad habbits over the years. Good to get back to basics.

Great article, too bad there is not a "printer friendly button"..

I've never been to that stream, but when I saw it I had a fairly good idea that it was not only in PA, but exactly where it was.

One other great cast is to simple cast side arm. This puts a curve in your cast to not only put some slack in your line, but also to cast around objects. The best thing I learned how to do casting wise is also cast backwards. Depending on where you're standing on the stream, casting over your opposite shoulder can produce better line control for certain drifts.

ryguyfi wrote:
I've never been to that stream, but when I saw it I had a fairly good idea that it was not only in PA, but exactly where it was.

If you want to fish it, let me know. I'll take you there, but I won't/can't put you on any fish. Trust me. There are no fish in there (that I can catch, therefore there are no fish ;-)

This puts a curve in your cast to not only put some slack in your line, but also to cast around objects.

Yeah, I do that all the time, though it really only works one way. If you're a righty, you get a curve to the left. If you really want a hook, overpower it and aim above the water and stop it in mid air. You get kind of a sideways tuck cast, instead of diving down like a tuck, it gives you like a 90 degree left hook. Get good at it and fish behind bushes and rocks. Highly effective as those are common lies.

Right curves are much tougher for me. Across body, underpowered. Basically not enough power to bring the line the whole way around. I suck at placing it, so I'm not using it for curving around objects. But I still use it on occasion for drag control.

Likewise for aerial mends. I can put a mend to the right easily and place it well. I struggle with left mends.

So naturally, the solution is to always just fish from the same side!

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Good article and I know the place in the first picture.

So do I. And he needs to get the heck out of the stream! :-D

Lol I thought the same thing. Caught a lot of fish right where he is standing. No reason with that nicely mowed *cringe* bank, to get in the water. Espeacially throwing that line over most the run.

Excellent article, thanks for sharing.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Lol I thought the same thing. Caught a lot of fish right where he is standing. No reason with that nicely mowed *cringe* bank, to get in the water. Espeacially throwing that line over most the run.

Hahaha! I thought the same thing. I almost wrote, "I know that stream too, and Sal told me to not wade it!"

I'll get in it to cross it, but there really is no need to wade it. In fact, you're doing yourself more of a disservice by wading. Stealth is the number one tactic on that stream!

Good article. Thanks for sharing!

I would love to fish that stream on a nice day like in the picture!

Back