Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Anyone use xink? (liquid Fly sink)

From Philadelphia, Pa
As soon as i read that post i walked into my garage and measured 8.5" and applied the shot for tomorrow morning. At this point you could tell me to fish naked and id give it a shot.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 0:56

From Lehigh Valley
Yo - Something to consider...

When you're fishing with shot and an indicator, the shot has to move before the indicator can do its job. The further away from the shot the fly is, the more time it can take before that slack is taken up, and can move the shot (and then the indicator).

In the current, the fly is lighter than the shot, and may actually be downstream of the shot. Keeping the distance from the fly to the shot shorter, allows quicker detection of a strike.

Keeping the shot 6 to 8 inches away from the fly is a good compromise between quick detection, and a natural looking drift.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 1:21

From pittsburgh
well said H-A as for the milky stuff after your fly has been in the water pull it out and squeeze it you will see the milky stuff im talking about i currently dont use xink anymore as i feel its a waste i have moved on to weighted flies and shot or both

check this link out

i hope this helps and not confuses you

Posted on: 2011/4/9 7:39

-me

From Eastern PA
I try to keep it simple. But this is how I arrived at 8.5".

Enjoy.

Attach file:

jpg  splitshotequation2.jpg (410.16 KB)
2943_4da073276fd06.jpg 1085X1459 px

Posted on: 2011/4/9 10:49

From Eastern PA
Quote:

flipnfly wrote:

check this link out

i hope this helps and not confuses you

That's a good link but he is off .5" on his lead placement for deep water nymphing.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 10:56

From Philadelphia, Pa
Lol. Texas instruments has got nothing on jdaddy.

Went out again this morning and not a bite. Four casts in a row with split shot lead to four snags in a row. Lost my favorite nymph. The beauty of not catching fish is the time spent pondering why im not catching any fish. I came up with what I believe is a pretty valid question. I read somewhere that trout feed from the bottom 80% of the time. Wouldn't that mean split shot is a must have all the time in moving water using a wet fly? I also made a decision today. If I don't catch a trout this week, I am going to find the Mr. Miyagi or Obi Wan of fly fishing to teach me. I plan on joining the Montgomery county chapter of Tu but I'm joining to assist in conservation efforts moreso than to get free lessons. Any guides out there operating on the cheap or possibly do group rates?

Posted on: 2011/4/9 22:50

From SEPA
Quote:

Yotrout wrote:
I am going to find the Mr. Miyagi or Obi Wan of fly fishing to teach me.

I think you can find Old Lefty up in Jersey Shore, but he has yet to be knighted like Sir Alec Guinness.

But seriously, weight takes flies down. Wet flies don't get the same sort of treatment because they haven't been run through the Moulan Rouge Hype Machine, going into it with long, flowing quill wings and delicately wrapped bodies and being shat out as Czech nymphs which consist of lead wrapped over lead, then with a finishing touch of lead.

See, this this is timeless:
Resized Image

But this, this is...
Resized Image

...Well, probably effective. But whatever.

They're also fished differently.

If you're getting snagged and hung, you probably have TOO MUCH weight.

Nymphs generally just meander along, whereas wet flies are sort of assumed to gracefully glide along the water. Wet flies would be very effective weighted down at the bottom as well, however.

The reason you hear that 80% number tossed around is because generally speaking, fish are lazy. They're also paranoid. The most comfortable place to hang aorund and not expend energy is on the bottom, behind or in front of some structure. It also puts you the furthest out of reach of surface predators.

Anyways, there's no sense to any of this, peel off some of that lead and try again.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 13:19

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Yotrout wrote:
Lol. Texas instruments has got nothing on jdaddy.

Went out again this morning and not a bite. Four casts in a row with split shot lead to four snags in a row. Lost my favorite nymph. The beauty of not catching fish is the time spent pondering why im not catching any fish. I came up with what I believe is a pretty valid question. I read somewhere that trout feed from the bottom 80% of the time. Wouldn't that mean split shot is a must have all the time in moving water using a wet fly? I also made a decision today. If I don't catch a trout this week, I am going to find the Mr. Miyagi or Obi Wan of fly fishing to teach me. I plan on joining the Montgomery county chapter of Tu but I'm joining to assist in conservation efforts moreso than to get free lessons. Any guides out there operating on the cheap or possibly do group rates?

If you want to catch trout today (Sunday) send me an email.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 13:42

From Philadelphia, Pa
Jdaddy...Sorry i didn't see your post till late i definetly would have taken you up on your offer.

Your offer seemed very godfatherish though. You could literally ask someone if they want to make a couple grand in the same context.

I.e. If you want to make three thousand dollars today (Sunday) send me an email.

Next time maybe you should send a girl some flowers first. You didn't even offer me dinner afterwards. Gentleman my ass.

Pm when your heading out again and ill free up my schedule and lock my kids in the garage.

Posted on: 2011/4/10 22:24

From SEPA
Quote:

Yotrout wrote:
Next time maybe you should send a girl some flowers first. You didn't even offer me dinner afterwards. Gentleman my ass.

Yes, yes that was his plan, indeed. Gentleman your ass.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 15:34

From Philadelphia, Pa
Lol...Man i don't want to catch a fish that bad.

Went out for about three hours today and got a bite! I caught a Sunny!

I stalked trout all day. I would sneak up behind them say twenty or thirty feet back and watch them feed. I took careful notice of where they were positioned relative to the surroundings. I threw everything at them nymphs, wooly buggers, bead heads, you name it. They would run up and look at it but no takers. Very frustrating. But at least i caught a Sunny. I met another fly guy named Jim who seemed to have a every possible hatch in his fly boxes. Really knowledgable guy gave me a few flies (Which i tried with no success on the way out) and some great insight on the water. I told him about the site and he said he checked it out before but hadn't been on in quite sometime.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 15:49

From SEPA
Quote:

Yotrout wrote:
I would sneak up behind them say twenty or thirty feet back...I threw everything...They would run up and look at it but no takers.

Because something alarmed them at the last moment.

The easiest answer? Drag. Just enough that a creature who lives in the water and is attuned to it knows something is wrong, even though it looks just fine to you.

If they looked at your first offering, and skipped it, move closer, wait a few, then try it again.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 16:02

From Philadelphia, Pa
Ok, Im a student pilot so i have a firm grasp on drag in the air, but i am completely lost on how to put 2 and 2 together here. I am assuming it has something to do with the way the fly mimics its natural counterpart or are the fish being spooked variations in the water surrounding them as my line travels through it?

Posted on: 2011/4/11 16:09

From SEPA

If you just drop something into the water, it'll bumble along in the current, completely at the mercy there of.

If you drop something in the water with 30' of fishing line attached to it, it'll just bumble along in the current for a foot or so until some portion of that 30' of line gets caught upin some current and starts making that little thing act all unnatural, that would b in any way that's not essentially at the mercy of the water's flow.

Someone could come along and argue that things swim, and they're right, but don't get hung up on nuances. They call it "dead drift" for a reason.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 16:22

From Eastern PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:

Someone could come along and argue that things swim, and they're right, but don't get hung up on nuances. They call it "dead drift" for a reason.

Ya but Isonycia swim rapidly to the bank and stripping them . . . .

Seriously, pretty boy is right here. It's all about the drag (and micro drag). Forget casting, forget the fly box of every fly that's every hatched, forget about WF4DTGPX2000, forget about your dream app. Learn to make your crap look like it is floating naturally in the water. Hell, stop being fancy. Throw some tiny bits of bread out of the water. Watch how it floats. See how it goes the same speed as all the really cool bubbles? See those bubbles? Ya, that around where you want to be. Your flies, both surface and subsurface need to flowing at the speed of bugs in that given section of the water column. Once you have done that you can pretty much put bits of feather and dubbing on a hook and catch fish. You will begin to see how much the pattern really doesn't matter. Be the bug . . . . be the bug . . . .

PS, you missed the golden opportunity of a life time to become a master in hours. Today I again went and made a master of a newbie. I can't plan these things for weeks out. I am sporadic. I get the urge to fish and do it.

More PS, did above sound like Jerry? I know rough but seriously, seemed like a solid diatribe.

Posted on: 2011/4/11 17:38

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com