Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Anyone use xink? (liquid Fly sink)

From Madison co. VA (Conway River)
Thats like 3Ms photo mount they package it for wall paper, car headliners and everything else at diferent prices.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 19:03

From Montgomery County
There's no substitute to a heavily weighted fly or shot.

I actually think it's more useful on the leader than the fly. Apply it to part of the leader... especially if you had it loaded up with gink for dry fly fishing.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 20:24

From pittsburgh
i have used it its good for streamers like the muddle and deer hair like that but i quit using it because i noticed it produces a milky cloud when you bring the fly out of the water and squeeze it it does sound liek your doing everyhting ok just get some smaller shot to adjust you weight to where you can feel the bottom but you can only feel it every so often not a constant drag across the bottom also a shorter / less tapered leader will help this is what i do try a 7.5 ft 4 or 5x leader after you used some of the leader and it gets too fat and the butt section is about 5 1/2 long tie some 4 lb fluro tippet about 24 inches a lil bit shorter if using a tandem fly rig this will be alot less tapered your flies will sink faster and you will get less drag on your drift

hope this helped
tight lines

Posted on: 2011/4/7 20:30

-me

From Philadelphia, Pa
I'm definitely not ready to play with the dual fly rig yet. Maybe later in the season I'll experiment with that one. As far as the split shot goes, is it more common to use it on the tippet or the leader? I had no idea how important it was to sink that fly. Guess it was something I overlook during my recent month long crash course in fly fishing.

Posted on: 2011/4/7 23:19

From SEPA

Xink doesn't weight the fly or even help it sink any better than a fully saturated fly, it does however help a fly get saturated quicker.

That's why guy who said he uses it on eggs, or the muddler heads, notice it. Those are boyant materials.

Its a wetting agent, breaks surface tension of the water. Once your fly is soaked, xinked to the bejesus or just rubbed in the mud its probably about the same.

However, dry it out on excess false casts, its dry with or without the additive, and the weight of the fly matters more than anything you smeared on it.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 0:33

From Philadelphia, Pa
You stated it left a milky substance on the water? I didn't notice that as i applied it to a fly the evening before i went. Would i be safe to assume the chemical would turn the trout off to the fly?

Posted on: 2011/4/8 14:29

From Philadelphia, Pa
Just had a thought....Adding split shot will increase my chances of getting snagged up on the bottom. This will increase my need for leaders. Leaders are expensive.

Is this just the nature of the beast or is there a workaround?

Posted on: 2011/4/8 14:36

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Yotrout wrote:
Just had a thought....Adding split shot will increase my chances of getting snagged up on the bottom. This will increase my need for leaders. Leaders are expensive.

Is this just the nature of the beast or is there a workaround?

You should not be using an extruded tapered leader for nymphing. Additionally, you should be adding adequate amounts of tippet to leaders in that you are breaking off/replacing tippet not leaders.

If you are not ticking bottom you are likely not doing it right.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 15:29

From SEPA
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
If you are not ticking bottom you are likely not doing it right.

I don't nymph well, but this is still a fact I remember.

I wouldn't worry too much about the stuff warding off fish, chances are the bulk of it has washed off by the second or fourth time you've used it anyways, its already done its job. It broke the meniscus around the fly, and it sank and saturated.

Furthermore, tasting something nasty will have the same effect as the fish noticing it just put something very hard and unyielding in its mouth, it spits it out.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 15:42

From Eastern PA
As to the Xink . . . . people are buying stuff to make nymphs sink mo bedda? Just hold it under water and squeeeeeeeze it.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 15:45

From SEPA

it should assist in working water INTO the fibers of the body of the fly, as well.

That said, the bottle I bought a year and a half ago is somewhere in a cabinet, its unneeded. Between rubbing it in the mud and a little tungsten putty, its superfluous.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 15:49

From Philadelphia, Pa
How high up away from the fly should i place the shot? I am guessing this is all relative to the depth i am trying to acheive or is there a standard?

Posted on: 2011/4/8 18:19

From Eastern PA
8.5"

Posted on: 2011/4/8 21:10

From Philadelphia, Pa
Seriously or is that a random number? FYI...Im pretty gullible right now being as i haven't caught a fish while flying yet. You could say 23 feet and id believe you.

Posted on: 2011/4/8 23:46

From SEPA

Sounds legit enough for me.

Posted on: 2011/4/9 0:49

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com