Anyone bringing the ball and chain to the beginner jamboree tomorrow?

martin0206

martin0206

Hey guys, new to the forum but have been reading for a little while. I've been fly fishing for around 6 years but last year was the first year I really got into it. I am going to go to the newbie jamboree tomorrow and the gf wants to tag along. She likes fishing but hasn't fly fished before and wants to learn. Anyone else bringing the ball and chain or am I going to be a mush by bringing one along. Thanks - Jeff

Will you introduce her appropriately?

"Hey, Heritage-Angler, this is my ball-and-chain. Ball-and-chain, meet H-A."

JackM wrote:
Will you introduce her appropriately?

"Hey, Heritage-Angler, this is my ball-and-chain. Ball-and-chain, meet H-A."

Wel, this should be interesting!

I'm terrible with names, but I think this one will stick. :lol:

No fears, Jeff. We'll try our best to keep things fit for human consumption.

There likely won't be many women there, but that's ashame. Women are welcome, even encouraged. So long as it won't keep you from immersing yourself in learning and meeting people, I wouldn't get overly concerned about it.

Actually, there may be several women in attendance.

I'm not worried - we have mcfinn. Any gathering that has mcfinn in attendance is guaranteed to be a blast.

Mark my words..... ;-)

Heritage-Angler wrote:
I'm not worried - we have mcfinn.
:-o

Heritage-Angler wrote:
Any gathering that has mcfinn in attendance is guaranteed to be a blast.
All kidding aside, this is true.

Haha that would go over like a fart in church if I introduced her as the ball and chain. I figure this is a good way for her to learn a little since she would probably get frustrated in a matter of minutes if I tried to teach her. Really looking forward to this though.

MY g/f goes spin fishing with me....she has no interest in fly fishing though. I was pretty relieved when she said she had other plans tomorrow because if she did want to come, I would be 1.) Most likely ignoring me because I'm trying to learn and 2.) Somewhat distracted from learning for fear/worry/annoyance that she is now bored, but wanted to come anyway. But Jeff - I salute you, fly-fishing-church-farting-significant other-bringing-flyfisherman.

Jimbo I will be thinking those same things tomorrow. For better or worse she does have somewhat of an interest in going and wants to tag along. The positive I'm taking out of this is at least I don't have to teach her on my own.

Well, I applaud you sir - I don't think I'd have it in me to teach my girlfriend how to fly fish either. Anytime I try to give her tips spin fishing a quick "Jim I know what I'm doing, this isn't the first time I've fished" comes flying back my way. No worries man, you'll have plenty of guys around for moral support.

Yeah, thats kinda how my wife was. If I try to help, she got defensive and wanted left alone. If I left her alone, she got mad that I didn't help enough.

Also, while she enjoyed her outings, she didn't have the pashion that I did. She wanted to go places that were close for an hour here and there, when she had the chance. I wanted to drive farther, walk further, spend longer times fishing, and time my outings around when the fishing would be best.

Of course, she'd only enjoy it if we were successful, and the way I saw it, she wasn't willing to do what is necessary to be successful!

I guess as fisherpeople, we're incompatible. She gave it up. I regret that it didn't work, but I'm not sure I coulda made it work anyway (speaking about on the stream only). She still goes with me on occasion, but is happy to spend her time hiking, looking for frogs and the like, while I fish.

Joy will come along, but to sit in the car or along the shore and read. She has no interest in the fishing process. I would like it if she did, but will not try to force her into trying.

She came out in that manner on Sunday when I went in search of the FFO section of the Dyberry. I just happened to have my rod and vest with me :) and spent a little time casting while she read her book.

Back