Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 12 »

Re: Any interest in a Newbie Mini-Jam?

From Delaware Co.
I will try to make but I have my Tu banquette that same day and there is the car issue too but it should be fixed by than

Posted on: 2011/1/31 23:58

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
I will try to make but I have my Tu banquette that same day and there is the car issue too but it should be fixed by than

Was hoping you'd be there. If the Southpaw can't make it, the casting session is up to me and you. Good practice for your upcoming CCI exam.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 0:50

From Chester County
Fish, teach, learn, eat, drink...........it's all good. Should be a great time.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 6:35

From Gettysburg
Sounds like a great time and a great idea.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 7:47

From Glenmoore PA
Ed,

I will gladly take charge of the fly distribution. Anyone willing to tie some flys or donate let me know roughly how many and what you are going to bring so we all dont bring PTs and HEs. I will also bring my materials and vise. Im no expert by any means, but I can do the basics pretty well and will gladly help anyone with tying.
I think this is a really great idea. Fly fishing can be intimidating and this mini-jam will really help get over that.

Andy

Posted on: 2011/2/1 8:12

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I'm probably not the best guy to do knots. My knots work for me and I'm quick with them. I can do blood knots, nail knots, surgeons knots, etc. But streamside, I'm poor at those and lean heavily on bastardized varieties of the clinch knot. Probably shouldn't be teaching my bad habits to beginners, better to teach them the "proper" methods.

Heck, thats my whole flyfishing style. Bastardizing what you're supposed to do to make it work for me. :)

But situations and techniques, I'm cool with. If such discussion is supposed to jive with the flies Jay is gonna discuss, I should probably briefly touch base with Jay.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 8:12

From Jersey Shore, PA
pcray, it's not bastardizing, it's adapting and refining to make it work for you. Some would say it's the process of defining your style

Dave R.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 8:16

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It's called laziness. My old method works, I'm good at it (meaning quick). At some point I found out I wasn't doing it "properly", and learning to do it properly might result in slightly better performance. But that wasn't worth the extra learning curve, I've unfortunately gotten set in my ways on knots....

Nonetheless, had I done it right the first time, I'd have gotten good on the proper methods instead of the improper ones. For newbies, I'm thus not the one to teach them.

But when and where to use what, when and where to avoid drag or utilize it, casts to solve those odd "nonperfect" situations, riggings, etc. I'm ok with all of that.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 8:19

From Schwenksville
Ed,
I think I can make it and will handle knots if you would like. Or I can team up with pcray. Let me know.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 10:07

From Johnstown, PA
Would an event like this be closed to YOUNZERS?

Posted on: 2011/2/1 10:43

From Bozeman
I'd say of course it isn't, but fair warning: you'll be passing by some *fantastic* fishing to get here!

Posted on: 2011/2/1 10:58

Just let me know & I'll help.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 11:42

skiltonian, I really look forward to that. I have a TON to learn in that dept!

Fredericks post also got me thinking, ride share wise, I live in Montco near the Willow Grove TP exit if anyone needs a ride up.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 12:04

From Lehigh Valley
Adam - Really appreciate you volunteering to do knots. Can you bring some pieces of cord to provide an easy to see visual? It's cool if guys want to work together when talking about these subjects - we're all working together to help those that want to learn. I suspect that you'll need help in providing individual attention to those that want to learn knots - our time is limited.

My intent was to have instructors get some advanced warning on what they'll be covering. Given the caliber of the guys instructing, you could easily do this off the cuff, but I didn't want to put anyone on the spot. This is basic stuff, and you'd all probably have a tougher time remembering how long ago you learned these things!

Skiltonian is dead on about the teaching thing. The experienced guys often take the basics for granted, but when you have to teach a student, it forces you to pay attention to the details. I have complete confidence you guys will provide a learning experience for our newcomers that they'll likely never find anywhere else. Some guys are lucky enough to have a good mentor - it shortens the learning curve considerably. Hopefully, we'll provide a good foundation for new guys to build on for the future.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 14:14

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

osprey wrote:
Would an event like this be closed to YOUNZERS?

Yinzers are welcome. No Penguins jerseys allowed though. This is FLYERS country.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 14:18

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 12 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com