Any Net Tricks?

docsab

docsab

I've been losing some fish at the net. I think I play them OK, but come net time, I'm a little awkward with a 9 foot pole and trying to bring the fish to net. I'm trying to keep the rod low to keep the fish head in the water, but I could use some tips regarding current direction, rod placement, etc. Is there a "right" way or just what you get used to?

docsab wrote:
I'm trying to keep the rod low to keep the fish head in the water

There's your problem. When you get the fish's head out of the water, skate him across the surface like a surfboard - right into your net. Do this all in one motion, not letting the fish get his head down in the water to "dig in" again.

This will shorten the battle considerably, and be better for the fish. The shorter the fight, the better for the fish.

Of course, this works easier for smaller fish, but you'd be surprised how well it works for larger ones too...

The real trick is to judge how much line you need to have out of the rod tip to skate the fish into your net in one shot. Use the fish's momentum if you come up a bit short - and don't miss. ;-)

That's it above, of course you have to get the fish's head up which can be a task sometimes. If you're fighting a good sized fish you can change direction on him which will wear him out a little quicker and disorient him.

I used to have the same problem when I first started. In addition to HA's and henrydavids advice, try to lead your fish into shallow water if you can.

Thanks for the advice. I had been trying to keep the head in the water as I thought bringing the fish head out of the water loses the buoyancy the water provides and exerts more pressure on the hook, causing lost fish.

Since my current technique obviously is not working for me, I'll give this a shot. Kinda funny- although I had some good hookups the other day, the only trout I landed was one that took off when he saw my net and wrapped himself around my legs where I could get him!

also i would like to add I never let my rod low it can cause too much slack in the line.. rod tip always up, and sometimes i will keep rod up and reach my right arm which holds the rod behind me so i can stretch my left out with net to shorten the distance between me and the fish

Also, lead the fish into the net. Do not "scoop" the fish with the net. You are far too likely to knock the fish off the hook.

Doc,

Here's a shot of me skating a fish into the net. One thing I did (because is was a smaller fish) is to slide the rod down in my hand to make it easier to get him closer to the net.

I would NOT do that with a larger fish!

But the head slightly out of the water and skating him into the net portion has worked pretty well for me.

Nobody mentioned it, but if you are netting for someone else, my technique is to come up behind the fish and let the angler drop the fish back into the net. Pros and cons comments sure to come.

Dave

Attachments

• Dave_March_2_2012.jpg
    Dave_March_2_2012.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 3
Are you sure that's you Dave? Not a stunt double? ;>
Nice fish!
djs12354 wrote:
Doc,

Here's a shot of me skating a fish into the net.

Dave

Volks

I had promised I wouldn't tell, but that's the Fox in an ugly suit.....:)

Dave

All of the above I agree with. Although I dont carry a net anymore. I rarly need it I think. I have hand landed 5+ lbs smallies with no net. For most trout fishing I think a net is more you have to carry. But I mostly fish for trout that dont need a net. If the fish is gunna throw the hook they usually do before I goto land it. Everyone does things different, I prefer not to carry a net.

Does he need a suit for that?

djs12354 wrote:
Volks

I had promised I wouldn't tell, but that's the Fox in an ugly suit.....:)

Dave

docsab just curious, what size rod are you using?

henrydavid wrote:
docsab just curious, what size rod are you using?

I'm using a 5-weight 9' rod

try to be downstream to the fish and put the rod behind your neck and use it as a pivot and just slide him into the net

Back