Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Answer to the age old "What flies?"

From Enola, Pa.
I've been seeing a lot of ants running around already, might be a good idea to take some with you. I put my terrestrial box in my vest.

PaulG

Posted on: 2010/4/11 9:43

Quote:

jayL wrote:
I agree that people dwell too much on fly selection, and I agree with everything you've said.

The key is to fish something that gives you confidence. A hare's ear or pheasant tail is almost always my answer.

Same here. An Olive Hare's Ear is my go to fly. When times are tough, I can always seem to pull one out using that.

Like OP said though, you really can catch em on anything more or less. I find myself fishing a certain set of flies though just due to confidence. For Example, I havent caught a trout on a Glo Bug ever. So I dont fish them anymore, but if I did, I am sure I would have caught plenty...

Just my $.02

Posted on: 2010/4/26 8:10

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

Besides a March Brown nymph, emerger and dun, everything in my box is a very general mayfly or caddis shape. One wing, various sizes and colors. In general, if you are close to the size and color of the bug the fish is eating, you're in business or as afish put it....zzzzzzzzzzzz! All you have to do is make the cast and get the proper drift. I don't tie my stuff for looks or as an art. My free time is too short and eyesight too bad to be turning out works of art only to be dropped in a river or caught in a tree.

I'm not trying to make it overly simple but it's really not all that hard. Size, shape then color is all you have to worry about. I'd admit my flies are ugly but they always seem to have fish hanging off of them.

Posted on: 2010/4/26 17:17

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com