Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: A dozen top flies for PA trout streams

Thank you both for the information. I will check out the websites you mentioned jbummy. Anywhere I could save a buck I am interested. I just mentioned cabelas because they have a decent sale going until the 12th. Gonna grab a combo and a couple Pfleuger spin reels(not ready to give that up yet). Lv2nymph I guess I will look to begin tieing as well if I get into this. Definately not looking to drop that much cash. I will look for a local option as well as websites and go from there. Thank you both very much.

Posted on: 3/7 15:31

From Ferguson Twp.
Keith, in case you haven't spotted it yet there's a thread in the gear talk section you might be interested in.

Posted on: 3/7 17:04

If it's the online fly purchasing links I definately checked it. Also I seen a post where you sad as a beginner don't complicate things by having too much in terms of flies. I think I will visit my local fly shop now that I found there is is one in my area I get ideas from them. That 500$ thought was enough to make me quit before I started. Just gonna try to keep things simple for now. Again thanks.

Posted on: 3/7 20:50

From North East PA
Keith - If you think you can drop $ on rods, wait until you see what tying can do to your wallet!

Posted on: 3/7 22:49

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Ferguson Twp.
Quote:

Keith wrote:
. That 500$ thought was enough to make me quit before I started. Just gonna try to keep things simple for now. Again thanks.

Well, that number was to obtain four of every fly/color on that list. No one that I know has gone out and purchased that many flies at once. The fly shop will be able to hook you up with a good list for your area to have to get you going initially and into fish. Have no fear, it won't be long if you're like most of the ffer's out there that you'll have more flies/patterns than you know what to do with!

Posted on: 3/8 8:32

From North East PA
Afish -

Thanks for this list. I'm considering it my "These are the flies I need to be able to tie" list.

I can do a couple of them that are at the "Fish-able" stage, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

Posted on: 3/8 9:44

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

At least I know I can affectively tie two of the ten(green weenie and San Juan))lol.

Posted on: 3/9 9:11

it may be a knockoff of a hares ear but a walts worm is ez to tie and very productive. thats the most overlooked fly by far.

Posted on: 3/9 10:06

From Lancaster
Quote:

buzz wrote:
it may be a knockoff of a hares ear but a walts worm is ez to tie and very productive. thats the most overlooked fly by far.

I've been thinking about this lately, I have been tying flies and flyfishing for over 30 years and have never tied or fished a Walt's Worm. They definitely look like they would work very well and I would advocate any new fly tyer to tie up some of these to catch your first fish on your own fly. Guess I'll have to crank out a few to fish on tandem rigs just to see it they beat out some of the higher tech patterns.

The first fly that I learned how to tie (way back in High School) was the Muskrat Nymph (no tail, no hackle, no legs ..... just muskrat fur with guard hairs dubbed on a nymph hook. They still work today just as well as they did back in the early 80's. Today when I tie them I usually throw on a woodduck fiber tail and maybe a soft hackle but I think that it all for me and not the fish. Keeping it simple is sometimes the answer.

Posted on: 3/10 17:17

^ I catch fish on muskrat nymphs. I did so this past weekend, as a matter of fact.

It was also the first fly I was taught to tie.

Posted on: 3/10 17:52
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From danville pa
Just ordered some of these I got them from streamflies.com they were around 50 cents each and free shipping in orders over 30 dollars
Thanks afishinado for the info very helpful

Posted on: 3/14 8:44

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com