A couple newbie questions

T

tomc0684

Hi there I am Tom, 25 from Baden , PA. I have been fishing only once with a friend of mine a couple weeks ago downtown on the river and enjoyed it very much. My question is about Brady's Run. I am going there tomorrow after I get a trout stamp(I do need one, right?) . Will it be good for fishing this time of year? I do not know much about what I have but the line is Berkley Super Strong Trilene XL Smooth Casting 8 LB 330 yd on a Quantam Glacier rod. What kind of bait, line, hooks , etc. do I need to make the best out of my experience? Thanks in advance, I look forward to learing a lot here

Hi Tom,
Welcome to fishing! Yes, you'll need a trout stamp in addition to your regular fishing license if you wish to fish here in PA for trout. This website is a special interest site geared toward fly fishing enthusiasts and we normally field questions from beginning fly fishermen here. The equipment you describe will work fine for trout fishing although it isn't fly fishing equipment. Baits that are popular for trout include earthworms, corn, and brand names like "Powerbait" sold at most dept stores. Use small hooks, about size #8. Small spinner lures, like the "Mepps" are popular for trout too. I'm not familiar with Brady's Run but there are literally thousands of places where one can fish for trout here in PA. Make sure you are familiar with the fishing rules and regulations. You should have rec'd a book of regs including seasons and "bag limits" (how many fish you can kill and keep in a day). If you need more info, or don't have the regs book, the rules and regs can be seen here:
www.fish.state.pa.us
If possible, I'd strongly recommend you fish with an experienced friend the first few times you go out. They can show you the basics to enjoy fishing.
Good luck.

Back