Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

"Rocket Taper" ?

From Bucks County
Newbie from Bucks County and new to fly fishing. I've been a "chuck & crank" angler my whole life. I'm not giving it up, just starting on a different type of angling. Glad to find a great forum like this. I'll be mainly creek fishing for smallmouth and panfish.

Here's one of my questions: What makes a Rocket Taper line different from a WF line? I'm guessing it IS a WF line, just a different, or heavier section on the downline end.
Thanks

Posted on: 2012/12/8 9:09

Re: "Rocket Taper" ?
From Gettysburg
Quote:

semperfish wrote:
I'm guessing it IS a WF line, just a different, or heavier section on the downline end.
Thanks

You're correct. "Rocket" taper is usually associated with fly lines that are geared toward bass fishing or some specialty application where one would be casting fairly heavy or wind resistant flies. It uses the basic shape of a WF line but is a bit more agrressive - that is to say that the heavier front section is shorter and thicker. Keep in mind that these variations in fly lines are often subtle and, IMO, don't necessarily equal the greater prices of the specialty lines. Speaking as one who fly fishes a great deal for bass and sunfish, my personal advice would be to start out fly fishing (FFing) using basic WF lines. You will, of course, get different opinions on this.

Welcome to the Paff forums. This particular forum, the Beginner's Forum, is the place to ask basic questions. Enjoy your new foray into FFing.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 10:17

From Bucks County
Thanks FI....for the info and the Welcome Aboard.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 13:51

From SEPA
actually, in the case of cortland its their trademarked name for "weight forward."

Posted on: 2012/12/8 16:33

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Quote:

semperfish wrote:
I'm guessing it IS a WF line, just a different, or heavier section on the downline end.
Thanks

Speaking as one who fly fishes a great deal for bass and sunfish, my personal advice would be to start out fly fishing (FFing) using basic WF lines. You will, of course, get different opinions on this.

i agree.

unless you are faced with stiff winds or the need for long distance casts, they are harder to cast as they need a much faster casting stroke, as you are 'punching' the heavy head out.

i'd actually start with a standard WF line too.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 18:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com