Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: #$@%! KNOTS!

From Souderton PA
Don't feel too bad Auriemma. At least you will remember to check you knots for the next week or so. I have been tying cinch or improved cinch knots for about 40 years and still can't remember to check the darn things. I lost a nice fish on Sunday that I swear united the knot.
Do any or you guys use a non-cinch to tie the fly on? I played with the Orvis knot and the Davey knot. The Orvis knot is nice, but for some reason I can never remember how to tie it when I'm on the stream. The Davey knot is very simple, but there is some trick to tying it consistently that I have not yet figured out.
Mike.

Posted on: 2011/5/2 16:29

From Lehigh Valley
Depending on if you used Monofilament or Flourocarbon the clinch may or may not be the knot for you. I know for a fact that Florocarbon has a tendency to break far more often when used with standard clinch,use a improved clinch its way better but be sure to really soak the knot before cinching down for flourocarbon seems to hvae a harder time cinching than mono,also a palomar is another floolowed by a San Diego Jam knot.
One thing i think hurts a angler more than anything is bad knot execution and also not apllying enough moisture beffore you cinch.If you want you can also use plain old chapstick to lube your knots,try that i think youd be surprised.
Tight Wraps & Tight lines
Rick Wallace

Posted on: 2011/5/2 18:44

From Southwest, Pa
The only time I find necessity for improved clinch knots is when I'm swinging/stripping wets, dries, streamers with smaller tippet (4-6x)...

last night, a nice hatch of small green caddis came off. I was pulling an x-caddis under water after the skate, stripping, and lost three flies right after one another. Switched to an improved clinch and problem solved.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 12:43

-Art Lee

From florida
If your tippet material is old it will snap and you think it was a bad knot. Tie an overhand knot and pull the tippet,if it breaks get new tippet. I use uni knots,easy to tie and reliable,imo.
Also wet the knot before you tighten it.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 13:54

From W. Norriton, PA
Sorry, been away for a few days. Went to Central PA with some friends for a shooting and fishing weekend. The shooting was fun (never did it before), the fishing... not so much. As predicted in other threads, it was blown out, fast running, chocolate water.
We tried a few places but no luck.

All my knot failures have been the curly end kind... so my knots are slipping, not breaking. I wet them, snug them down and pull them tight. I will have to check my method of tying again. I'll tie on a fresh tippet before I go out again, just to be sure.

Posted on: 2011/5/4 10:24

From NE OH
Love the clinch and the modified. I will overstate what has been already stated...slow down, wet your line before before pulling the knot tight, and check your knot after pulling it down. If the knot is not looking right (which means absolutely perfect) to you, loosen it, and retighten it. I do find the improved clinch works just fine with fluoro if you just take your time with the steps.

Posted on: 2011/5/10 10:20

From Harrisburg
I find it helpful to pull on the tag end until the clinch knot begins to take a form, then wet it and pull on both the string and fly/lure (not the tag). I have had only one classic clinch knot come undone. Any other failures are usually due to failures in the line or exceeding the stress limit

Posted on: 2011/5/11 1:57

From Lewistown
To piggy-back on the previous poster said....you should have pressure on all three ends:tag, tippet and fly, while tightening.

Posted on: 2011/5/11 9:25

To add my 2 cents, I was a improved clinch/clinch knot guy for all of my young angling career(23 years old). However, I was fishing Spring a week ago when flows were 350+ and I lost two rainbows of 17" +/- an inch when they got into some fast water. This lead to a thread on here about tippet size. However, the problem was not the tippet strength, but the knot strength. I looked up some lab tests and the clinch/improved clinch is only worth 60% of the line strength, which sucks big time. Switch to a new knot, the palomar knot or the trilene knot are only about one step more than the improved clinch, and they are tough knots(90%+ line strength). I have fished the trilene 5 times in the past week and I have the utmost confidence in its strength.

Posted on: 2011/5/11 21:50

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com