Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

iPhone Ratings HELP - GPS Fishing Guide

From Warrington
For those of you who are using the GPS Fishing Guide to Pennsylvania for iPhone, can you please post a rating and possibly a review for the app on iTunes or the AppStore?

I have heard nothing but good comments on this forum and hope you'll share your thoughts with the iPhone audience at large. Your ratings will go a long way to assuring the long term success of the GPS Fishing Guide.

Thanks to all!

PS. You'll find a "Rate this App" button on the "Help" tab to make the process easy.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 12:25

Re: iPhone Ratings HELP - GPS Fishing Guide

From Harrisburg
Done.

Got a question for you- when searching for fishing waters, is the GPS measuring miles as-the-crow-flies? If so, it would be much more accurate if it were measuring using roadways. I ended up getting hours from home the other day by just 'checking out the next closest creek.'

A lot of fun it was, though!

Posted on: 2013/5/2 23:00

Distance Calculations

From Warrington
The distance as the crow flies is a simple mathematical calculation however calculating based on driving distance or drive time would mean calculating the route through the actual navigation app in the phone for each point. This would violate my developer agreement and even if it didn't, it would take far too long to get the results to make the app useful.

My suggestion would be to push the go button and double check actual navigation time just to make sure your don't have to drive 60 miles around the mountain to the closest point.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 21:48

Re: iPhone Ratings HELP - GPS Fishing Guide

From Harrisburg
A tip to people who prefer google maps - if Apple maps pops up when you press GO, select the bus icon. Apple doesn't seem to be able to do bus routes just yet, so it'll give you the chance to open in a variety of other apps - google being top of the list. Just click, make sure it's set to driving instead, and you're off!

I find this much easier than the copy/paste method that is a bit cumbersome in the iphone.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 0:46

Another Tip if you have a GPS too!

From Warrington
Excellent tip Gorosaurus! I'll remember that one!

I just got back from a trip across northern PA and here's another tip for those who have a GPS in their car as well as their smartphone. I personally prefer my Garmin for driving directions. Before I go, I use the phone app to place a waypoint at my planned fishing destination. I then copy the coordinates into my GPS.

If I'm going to a preprogrammed spot in the app, I can hit the Go button then transfer the coordinates into my GPS and exit back to the fishing app. I actually have the app in my Garmin so I often just find the same proprogrammed spot on my Garmin.

I then zoom the app's fishing map out and place it in compass mode by touching the center on current location button and tell the GPS to take me to my destination. As I'm driving I use the phone to see a bigger picture of the streams around me as I go along and let my GPS do the driving. I often check out another stream I see on my way and then resume travel to my destination. Be sure to power your phone from you car as GPS is battery intensive and then you'll have a full charge when you get to your destination.

I also learned something unfortunate on this trip. If you have On-Star, you can't ask them to take you to GPS coordinates. They can only take you to the nearest road intersection. Whether you use the PFBC's coordinates or my app's coordinates, keep your GPS even if you get an On-Star equipped vehicle.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 10:49

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com