My wife gives great fishing gifts. Here's her tricks

U

UFMGuy

If you're like me, my wife she always struggled to find something special I really wanted for the holidays.

A few years ago, she stumbled on a couple of great ideas to make it easier for her and perfect for me.

Every year now, my wife buys my fishing license and trout stamp in December, then wraps it in a gift box. It's a guaranteed winner of a present and I'm ready to fish January 1 without even thinking about it.

She also discovered that she can buy me games and apps for my iPhone as gifts. Apple makes it easy and now she asks me for a list of outdoor apps I want. then she just goes on the App Store and uses the "Gift this App" function. She even buys me apps I didn't ask for which is always a surprise.

On Christmas day, I open email on my phone and find several gift card emails from the App Store. Each one let's me install an app.

Now, I've even started giving Apps to my friends. It's an inexpensive way to let someone know you're thinking about them and it's better than a lottery ticket because everyone wins.

One important thing to know. If you do plan to give an iPhone app, you'll need the recipient's AppleID which is always an email address but not necessarily the one they use on a regular basis.

I hope this helps make your holidays merrier!

Shouldn't this advertisement be in the "shop talk" section?

Unless he's a salesperson for Apple, I don't really see this as an advertisement.

He's just offering some suggestions.

The gift license is a great idea.

Maybe it should be in the "Other Forum"

I had no idea this post would be so contentious. In fairness to all, I'll let you know that I am an app developer as well as a PA fly angler so you can decide where this belongs.

I purposely did not mention anything related to my apps because I didn't want this perceived as a commercial. Not many people know Apple makes it easy to give apps as gifts which is a very cool feature.

My wife does really buy me my license and apps every year and I love it!

I've received my license from my daughter for the last 3 or 4 years.
It's the most used gift that I have ever received. Drop a hint to someone.

I think another good gift idea is someone putting a bit of effort into getting one of your fish pictures, or fishing related pictures, framed.

It's something I'd never do myself, but would be a nice thought from someone if they took the effort to do that and you can throw it in your den or fly tying room.

Rose.jpg

My wife and daughter did that a while ago with a picture of my daughter's first fish. I started her young. She's now 17. It was a great gift.

Back