girls that fly fish

K

KB29116

I just moved here to be close to family, that have no interest in fishing, and would like to find some people to fish, and camp with. I've always fished Colorado, Wyoming and Montana, and have no knowledge of the fishing available here.

Welcome to paflyfish. This is a wonderful forum. The folks here are friendly and helpful.

I don't live too far from you, probably less than 20 miles. I mostly fish the Lackawanna. In spring & summer I fish state ponds for bluegills and bass. (I have a small boat.)

Unfortunately my job keeps me too busy to do much fishing these days. (I drive a truck on night shift about 60 hours a week not including lay over time like right now in NC.) If I get out its usually Sunday morning though I do have Saturdays off.

Im sure we can get together at some point.

I bought a new brookie rod which I want to test out on a small creek near Moosic. Would you be interested in wild brook trout fishing?

Cathy

I put in directions to Moosic and it said 5 hours, I can't do a trip like that until summer, I'm hosting a French exchange student, but somewhere close would be great.

Yeah Cathy I think she means Scott Township near Pittsburgh. My old stomping grounds. But I don't know of any women on the board from over there.

Good luck!

that's right, I'm 10 minutes from the city. My only child has been here 10 years, it was either move here or always vacation here, and I love to travel, so here I am, starting over. If anyone wants to fish Wyoming or Montana, I'll do that trip anytime, but for now I need to find the fishing spots near me and some fishing friends. I would be up for driving a distance after my student leaves.

Welcome to pa! You have good fishing about an hour east of you, lots of good water in the laurel highlands. Im sure someone will chime in soon and offer to take you to fish the yough, its a good tailwater near ohiopyle. There are many other options as well. If you find yourself north of the city, we have the slippery rock, neshannock, cool spring, oil creek, and many more. Also, steelhead in lake erie!!! Try to come up to our steelhead jam, info in the steelhead jam thread. Great bunch of people that love fishing. Its very low key, very friendly, and if youve never fished for steelhead, lots of people to show you the ropes.

Is that steelhead jam the gathering I saw for November? I'm in Peru the 6th-16th. I looked up the slippery rock a few weeks ago, and read there are a lot of fatalities in those waters. I'm up for checking out anything within two hours, I could go farther in the summer after my French boy leaves.

I had two ideas what this thread was about when I opened it, as I read more posts, neither were correct.

KB,

Welcome to the burgh!

Few if any lady flyfishers on this board from Western Pennsylvania. David's wife Mellisa is the only one that comes to mind.

We have the Yough with fingerling stocked trout that grow to large size in a tailwater environment southeast of Pittsburgh. Some small wild trout in the Laurel Highlands east of Pittsburgh. A number of stocked put and take streams in the vicinity of the burgh. Finally the better fishing for wild browns and bows is about 2-3 hours east of Pittsburgh, and it's pretty good even in comparison to your rocky mountain experience.

As biker mentioned we are blessed to have lake run steelhead 2 hours north in the Erie PA vicinity. It fishes from September to April.

Happy to take you out if you like.

Greg, that would be awesome to fish with you, I've been trying to read up on some of the rivers here. My trip is the 6th, but am free to go any day before that. I tried to pm you, but I think the site is having problems with that. I'll email you my number. I've mostly fished for trout, but have hooked in to a lot of huge carp in the Wyoming rivers that were a lot of fun to catch. Kathy

peru?? awesome! was there about 6 years ago. As for fatalities on the slippery rock, most of them are drunk kids that try to swim in the rapids, ignoring all the signs telling them they will die. the dangerous section is contained primarily to McConnells mill st park, upstream and downstream from there is some nice water, although it's a much better smallmouth bass stream than a trout stream.
oh yeah, if you go fishing with Greg, be prepared to catch some big fish, Greg doesn't know how to catch small ones!!
If you drive just a bit further east, you'll be in the central part of the state, some of the best trout fishing in the state along with some of the best scenery. Spring, Penns, Little Juniata, and Fishing creeks offer fishing for wild trout that can rival some creeks out west.

For me when I lived in Pittsburgh Neshannock was my favorite stream to hit on weekends. About 60 mins away and sparce but decent hatches for a water close by.

Bikers suggestions are good ones.

Thanks for all the info, you guys are great, I'm taking notes and checking everything out, I made a huge mistake and got on match.com a month ago to find some friends to fish with, a friend suggested it, I cancelled it after two weeks and was beginning to think nobody fished here, so happy my son in law sent me in the right direction. Biker, I'm looking forward to fishing with Greg, I've found huge trout in Wyoming and for sure in Montana, one spot out of Helena, my friends and I call Land of the Giants. If you guys ever go, I'll give you directions. Kathy

Greg, it looks like there's a still a problem sending messages, should I post my number here?

KB29116 wrote:
Greg, it looks like there's a still a problem sending messages, should I post my number here?

Just my humble opinion but I wouldn't post your number but you an email account you could post that or create a gmail for purposes such as this. I never post my normal personal account but do have a gmail for things such as these.

My email is k60super88@gmail.com Kathy

Kathy - welcome.

if you want to make friends try meet up dot com - they have hiking, paddling, walking, dining, wine tasting, climbing etc meet ups - its not dating based at all.

i'd never heard of it until me n Mrs GB moved to PA but its very popular.

cheers

Mark

Another option is to join TU. Penns Woods West meets up in Cranberry at the Grazie Event Center. I know they specifically chose that location this year because it was more family friendly, and were looking to get more diverse membership (not their quote, my interpretation...). I live right next to you in USC and its only about a 30 minute ride up their on 79N.

There were a couple women there at the meeting in September (missed the Oct meeting so not sure if they came back....)

Here's the link. You can attend even if not a paid TU member to get an idea of what it's like.

www.pwwtu.org.

Good luck!

Hi and welcome to West PA and Pittsburgh.
Living and fishing around is a bit different than CA or CO but you will find the way to enjoy the fly-fishing around. PAFLYFISH is a good start with many hot links and worth all of your time.

There is Penn’s Woods West – Trout Unlimited with meetings every Monday, local friendly anglers, gathering promptly in Pittsburgh at Rt51 and Marylea Ave; they organize in February Cabin Fever - fly-fishing expo located north of PGH.

click here

Pennsylvania Fly Fishing Museum Association in Central PA, with legendary anglers and writers still active and eager to chase trout.

International Angler place in Pittsburgh where you can find fishing gear and all goodies you need to fish and fly fish, very friendly staff, the shop organize fly fishing trips including Patagonia, New Zeeland and more, they bring fly fishing film festival to Pittsburgh and screen it at Oakland Theater in the spring.

Kathy, you will find in W PA small 5 inch Brookies, giant Lbs. steelhead in Erie tribs and almost everything between.
Get yourself books like; “Trout of Streams of Pennsylvania” by Dwight Landis, Fly Fisher’s Guide to Pennsylvania by Dave Wolf or steelhead guide by John Nagy and you will be THE expert in no time.

Skybay,

They no longer meet in the South Hills, just an FYI... It's now near where Cabin Fever is held, at Grazie Event center, in Wexford.

I second the book suggestions, own and use them all....

Back