Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Bottom   Previous Topic   Next Topic  Topic is Locked

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Wild Trout Summit- Aug 26th

In some places they pull trees down with winches so that the root wad is still intact, which makes it less likely to wash away during floods.

The effects of LWD are many, but from a trout perspective, the most obvious ones are pool formation and creating cover.

Which are things that tend to be lacking in many of our small freestone streams.

And one of the main reasons they are lacking is that the amount of LWD in the streams is far less now than it was before the forest was logged.

Posted on: 7/19 6:56

From PA
Please no more special reg areas. Keep what we have, it's plenty! All it does is add tons of pressure to a stream and ruins quality fishing.

Posted on: 7/19 13:52

From lancaster county
Zak,

That is a valid concern but there are candidates in ATW's with wild trout that have the ability to hold fish over that a special reg area would greatly benefit the fishing not hurt it. I can only speak specifically to SEPA but can think of a few. Even the expansion in mileage would be good since most anglers are concentrated here. The fisherman want it too, at least a large majority. In turn it would alleviate pressure on other waters making the fishing better on those.

Posted on: 7/19 14:26

From lancaster county
As an example:
Tulpehocken below Myerstown. Low density wild trout, ATW, sees lots of pressure already and has ability to hold fish over. A DHALO reg would be good here.

That said I can think of LV streams that could benefit from the removal of special regs.

Posted on: 7/19 14:55

From PA
I certainly hear ya Sal and I am all about catch and release trout fishing. I also appreciate your civil response as I fully expected to get hammered for that comment.

What I've really noticed over the past decade is that even on streams with special regs, without exception, that the fishing is almost always better outside of the regs stretch. Now I cant say that that means there are more trout or more bigger trout but I can certrainly say that the fishing is more enjoyable with far less hassle from other fisherman. I just think that SR's add so much pressure to a stream that would otherwise be just fine if quietly left alone. For example I would look at places like Roaring Brook in Lackawanna County as a place that would probably be an even better fishery if they took the SR regs off and just let it fizzle off into an afterthought. Almost nobody would fish that place and the fishing would be much better. People read about it in a digest and just beat it up and wrong do'ers also read about it and think it's a great place to poach some trout. It's a place that should just be left alone. I do agree on places like the Tulpy, Penns, LJ, Spring and other highly publicized waterways. Those are the places that are going to get tremendous fishing pressure regardless of C&R or not so the regs help there. But the small streams like Young Womans, White Deer, Roaring, and the woefully failed brook trout enhancement program streams, just let them fade from thought and they'll be fine.

My only opposing thought to this is that if the PAFBC went and made every single Class A and wild trout stream catch and release only than you would dilute the SR areas enough that I would be all for that. Pressure wouldn't change at all on any of these streams. That's what I thought was always the issue with the BTEP. They just never had enough waters in it and they concentrated intense amounts of pressure on like 4-5 tiny streams. Was a very ill-thought out program. Camp Run in Westmoreland County used to be a wonderful little brookie stream. The first year it was added to that list is was trashed. T here was always a car parked there and the fishing was never the same. Even today, after the program is over, it's still intensely fished. It'll take time for that memory to fade. Now, make every single Class A native brook trout stream in the state catch and release and then you would see the results that you were looking for from the program. Make it 5 streams and you don't have a single shot of success......

I'm not just a fan of special regs in a lot of case. I feel they do far more harm then good on the majority of streams they're placed on.

Posted on: 7/20 9:40

From lancaster county
I agree with virtually everything you said.
I suppose in this case my talking point is off topic.
I mainly would like to see stocked special reg expansion.

Spot on about Roaring Brook by the way.
That said TT regs on wild waters is a waste of time as they are currently set up.

Posted on: 7/20 10:00

Tully below Myerstown re: special reg for stocked trout
-poor parking which could lead landowners to not like the extended activity at those sites that occurs with a DH Area, for example.
-limited alternative stocked trout fisheries in Lebanon Co. Would not be the best idea to "take" an existing one from conventional anglers.
-there is already a special reg area relatively close by...the Quitty

Posted on: 7/21 14:29

From lancaster county
Mike,

Maybe still considered still in myerstown but there is a quarry you guys stock right next to the ATW with a very large parking lot

So you mean to tell me you can't have 2 special reg areas in Lebanon?
I thought an overwhelming number of anglers expressed the wish of expanded special reg areas through your surveys.
I thought you yourself in this forum mentioned the Tully as a good candidate for a special reg area.
Am I missing something here?

Posted on: 7/21 14:36

My impression was that vague references to more special reg water on the Tully pertained to the Berks section somewhere above Blue Marsh.

Posted on: 7/23 10:19

From lancaster county
Oh no sir I gave you a very detailed response a few years ago. Nothing vague about it.
The detailed response

I don't agree with all the watersheds I mentioned either. Expansion of special reg areas in SEPA is a tough nut to crack for sure. Just want it to be know I was pretty clear by where I meant.

If you could work out the parking, I think you should agree it's a good candidate

Posted on: 7/23 10:33

Edited by salvelinusfontinalis on 2017/7/23 10:49:40
Edited by salvelinusfontinalis on 2017/7/23 10:53:17

From lancaster county
This is my last response to this because I don't want to derail the thread any further but I'm really baffled by this.

That section of the upper Tully has Jackson Park, the park at 501 and the quarry area that all have large lots. Those sections are used heavily in the early season and see nominal pressure during the late spring into summer and tapering off. An overwhelming number of anglers desire more special regulation areas and this area wasn't stocked from the early 80's until 2012/13. Now it is because of the sink hole repairs and you also suspect fish can holdover. I know they can based on my experiences this year but it could be way better with DH. I question if it should have ever been handed over to conventional anglers rather than just become a DH area. DH areas are very popular with anglers of all methods besides bait. It is one of the few programs besides All tackle C&R that bridges the gap between anglers. We all want more yet the fall stockings were cut on many because of "low usage", yet they are one of the most popular programs and utilized regulated stream sections next to the popular central pa streams.

All that said, you are the AFM and make decisions that you see as best. Iam just an angler and my opinion is just that. This area of PA sure could use a few more, people want them and this one is prime.
Even still, I am not a scientist like I said and this situation must be far more complex than my understanding, all I can do is scratch my head.

Posted on: 7/23 11:54

From Pittsburgh
Please give us report from this event with pics

Attach file:

jpg  wild brook pa.jpg (276.85 KB)
2007_59755abb7dd90.jpg 3266X1810 px

Posted on: 7/23 22:26

From Centre Co.
Wish I could be there but I have to work

Posted on: 7/26 21:00

From Mechanicsburg, Pa
Quote:
If you look at the full agenda you see that time scheduled for questions and discussion is only 40 minutes.

In addition they are preselecting the questions prior to the summit.
No questions will be accepted from the "floor".

Doesn't sound like there will be much discussion just propaganda on how much they value wild trout and then do nothing.

Never the less I will be there.

Posted on: 7/27 13:42

From SE PA
100% agree with sal having the upper Tully Dh.

Posted on: 7/27 14:28

« 1 (2) 3 »

Topic is Locked

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com